Sunday, January 17, 2016

Book Initials

I've seen these initials at craft shows, and always thought they were great. Now that I have a Proxxon Scroll Saw I can make my own. I decided to do one for each of my grand-daughters.

I used Make-the-Cut software to design, scale, and print my selected letters. I used painter's tape to hold the printed pattern in place on the book.

Following the pattern I cut the initials with the Proxxon Scroll Saw DS 115/E.

Even though she can't read, Anya knows that this letter A is hers—and it's her favorite color.

So, as the girls were admiring their initial books, Chloe asked, "Why don't you spell out the whole name?" Well, why not, indeed. I decided to make wall hangings using children's books for each letter of their name. After cutting the letters with the scroll saw, I drilled holes for ribbon ties to connect one book to the next. Here's Anya's wall hanging.

My key learning as I was making these book initials was to select a font that maintains as much of the integrity of the book's spine as possible. 
Carole

1 comment:

Steph Ackerman said...

Wow, how fun to use a book. These are awesome.