Friday, July 1, 2016

A Whale of a Shadowbox

Hi everyone Steph Ackerman here today and I've created a whale of a shadowbox.  Sumer is here and I wanted something summery to hang in my studio.



I started by painting a chipboard whale from Eyeconnect Crafts with  FolkArt Milk Paint by Plaid in Jamestown Blue.  Once dry, I assembled the whale with brads, then painted the waterspout with Petticoat.



I found a delicate wood shadowbox and lightly sanded it with my Delta Sander.  Next I painted the shadowbox - Jamestown Blue around the outside and Petticoat inside.  Once dry, I lightly sanded the shadowbox again with the Delta Sander then painted on a second coat of Jamestown Blue.  The Delta Sander is perfect for accessing small areas.

 
Around the edges of the shadowbox, I stamped a small design in complementary colors of ColorBox Crafter's Ink by Ann Butler



I adhered the whale across the middle of the shadowbox, then placed assorted die cuts in the boxes.  An anchor holds a sentiment from Rubber Dance in the top box - mesh was adhered along the edges of 3 boxes and some coral die cuts were placed in several other boxes.

 
To finish I created some clay shells, a fish and a starfish created from Makin's Clay Sea Shell Push Mold and assorted colors of clay which I mixed together to create a variety of colors.  They were mixed amongst the mesh and coral and adhered in place with Beacon Adhesives


Be sure to check out the Proxxon website and see all the amazing tools available.
 
 
 
 

No comments: