Sunday, October 2, 2016

Snowflakes 5¢

Yikes!! Only 82 days until Christmas!! Hope that's enough time for me to complete all the holiday projects spinning around in my head. Here's one I can't wait to display!

I adapted my snowman from Steve Good's snowman sign pattern. I prepared my pattern in Make-the-Cut, and mounted it onto 1/4" MDF (medium-density fiberboard) using these instructions:
  1. Cover the surface of the substrate with painter's tape
  2. Spray the back of the pattern with spray adhesive
  3. Mount the pattern on top of the painter's tape
The spray adhesive holds the pattern in place, and the painter's tape makes removing it a breeze. I used my Proxxon Scroll Saw to cut the snowman pieces.

Next, I used the Proxxon Professional Rotary Tool to drill a small hole in the sign to hang a snowflake charm. I sealed the MDF with an acrylic medium before spray painting the individual pieces. When they were dry I assembled the snowman using E6000.

I'm never happy with my hand lettering, so I cut the words for the sign out of vinyl using my Zing electronic cutter.

I covered the stand piece with artist's cement and liberally sprinkled the surface with crystal glitter. While the cement was still wet, I stood the snowman in the "snow." When the artist's cement dried it formed a secure bond with the figure.

Love how he turned out!!

Carole

No comments: