You'll need these tools and supplies:
- One 12"x18" piece of ¾" MDF or wood (I used MDF)
- One 2" length of ¼" dowel
- One 4"x1½" piece of 1/8" MDF or craft wood (optional)
- Pattern for the dispenser (Scroll Saw Workshop, then search for gumball machine)
- Wood glue
- Standard one pint Mason jar with ring lid
- Drill and 5/16" bit
- FolkArt Ultra Dye by Plaid Enterprises
- Proxxon Scroll Saw DS 115/E
- Proxxon Delta Sander
Let's get started. Attach the pattern to the MDF. Cover the surface of the MDF with painter's tape. Then, spray the back of the pattern with spray adhesive, and put that on top of the painter's tape. The spray adhesive holds the pattern in place, and the painter's tape makes removing it a breeze. Follow the pattern to cut each piece using the Proxxon Scroll Saw.
Sand all the pieces with a fine grit sandpaper using the Proxxon Delta Sander.
Next, paint each piece. I used FolkArt Ultra Dyes for rich, vibrant colors.
I designed the sign for the front of the dispenser using Make-the-Cut software, and cut the pieces out of vinyl. This is an optional piece, and is not included in the original pattern.
When all the pieces are dry, assemble according to the directions using wood glue. Fill the jar with M&M's and enjoy!!