Friday, February 24, 2017

Using my new Proxxon Scroll Saw to make a brooch

I recently received a new Proxxon Scroll Saw DSH/E and decided to make myself a brooch for St. Patrick's Day.








Here are the items used in this project:


Proxxon Scroll Saw DSH/E
Plaid FolkArt Dye
Stipples Fabric Paint in Gold
Spare piece of sandpaper
Pin Back
Hot Glue gun

To begin with, I have never used a scroll saw and consequently had to make a few try out pieces first. I did finally get the hang of it though. I started out by making a pattern and tracing it unto a spare piece of board that my husband had laying around.

Next time I will get my own wood to work with and use a little bit bigger piece. I used the spiral cut blade and like how I was able to back up and move around.
Once I got the piece all cut out, I used a small piece of sandpaper to smooth out any little bits of the edges that needed it. I was so surprised at how little sanding had to be done. Smooth work!
I didn't have the right color of green that I liked so I mixed two of the Plaid Dyes together to get the color that I wanted. Plaid has some beautiful dyes that can be used on a myriad of things, from wood to gourds! Very vibrant colors and they are water based so they are an easier clean up than most dyes.
I colored my shamrock with the dye and let it dry. Once it was dry, I used the stickles paint to dot around the edge to give it a little more of a blinged up look and attached the back with some hot glue.
This was a very easy project once I got the hang of the Proxxon Scroll Saw DSH/E. It's surprising how easy the machine was to work with and I'll be using it a lot more in the future. The brain has already come up with other projects now that I know I can do them. Don't be afraid to try this terrific tool.

Barbara


No comments: