Supplies and Equipment for Making the Detail Sanding Pens
- Scrap wood pieces 1" x 6" (or longer)
- Thumb tacks
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Pattern for sanding pens (search for "detail sanding pen")
- Proxxon Band Saw MBS/E
- Proxxon Scroll Saw DSH/E
- Proxxon Professional Rotary Tool IBS/E and MICROMOT Drill Stand MB
Instructions for Making the Detail Sanding Pens
- Print the patterns and adhere to the wood. Cover the surface of the wood with painter's tape. Next, spray the back of the pattern with spray adhesive, and put that on top of the painter's tape. The spray adhesive holds the pattern in place, and the painter's tape makes for easy removal.
- Cut the outline shapes of both the large and small sanding pen and kerfs on the large sanding pen on the band saw.
- Cut the notch on the small sanding pen on the scroll saw. (See note below.)
- Using the professional rotary tool and drill stand, drill a 1/16" hole in the large sanding pen for the tack that will secure the sandpaper in place.
- Realign the rotary tool and add a sanding disc to sand the pieces.
- Insert the tack into the drilled hole. If it extends beyond the pen piece, trim with wire cutters.
- Cut lengths on fine grit sandpaper to wrap around the sanding pens, and secure with the tacks.
- Enjoy your completed detail sanding pens!!