Friday, October 13, 2017

How to make an expandable book shelf



Hi everyone.   Today I want to show you how to make an easy expandable book shelf using some amazing tools from Proxxon

This is a super easy project.  What makes it different is how versatile and customizable it is.  The bookshelf can be long or short to  hold a few books or a bunch of books.  And  the bookends can be cut and decorated any way you like.  Design them for a  formal study or a child's room... Be serious or whimsical, you choose.  But most importantly, lets have some fun building, using these fun tools that make it so easy.

Equipment and Materials needed:

                                              

Drill and drill bits
1" wood screws (8)
screwdriver or screwdriver bit for drill
wood board, I used pine 1" x 4" approximately 16 " long
pine or similar wood 1/2" x 2"  length is how long you want your book shelf  (need 2 pieces)
plywood or pine 1" x 8" x 16"  (may need bigger for large bookends)
Plaid paints
wood glue


Ok, lets get started:
Here is the plan I created and used.   This shape can be used for the book spine look or the tree design.  




Start by cutting out your pieces.   I used the proxxon table saw to cut all the straight pieces.  It was so easy using that tool.  The bookends were cut first with the table saw then shaped using the proxxon jig saw.   I bet the proxxon mini scroll saw would do the job as well.  I chose a tree shape for my pattern this time but you could choose a different shape if you wanted.   I actually made 4 of these, all different.  They might end up as Christmas gifts.  😄  Here I am cutting the balloon shape with the proxxon jig saw.   Next I am sanding the tree shaped one using my new favorite tool, the proxxon delta sander



 
Putting it together is easy.  Simply place the bottoms on the bases and secure them with wood screws.  I predrilled the holes then countersank the screws and applied cover buttons and glued them in to cover the holes.




Now, take the bookends you've cut, and painted to your liking and turn them sideways and slip them in the slot.  Turn them 90 degrees to hold the books. The slight tilt backward will keep them from sliding wherever on the base you put them.







It will hold a few  books...
                                            or a bunch









Now get creative.  Use your imagination on the bookends.  As you can see I made 4 different sets.  I painted them with plaid paints.





Hope you had fun with this.     I did.  See ya next time.  Carol






6 comments:

Nell said...

Great job, love the project !

Cindy said...

Carol I think this project is just wonderful! You could certainly make different ones for Christmas gifts, for yourself?? The tutorial is very easy to understand too. Thanks for the inspiration.

Misty said...

Hey , I want two of these :-} need them for my art room, run over with books. Great work like the idea you can change up the ends and have different look. Good project. Proxxon is really making a difference in how you can turn our jobs. Congrats

Betty said...

Carol I really like cause you can change the ends and it is explained so well thank all of you guys for coming up with these ideas

Dorothy said...

I like those book shelves. Great job and good directions.

Frank said...

Nice bookends. They're fun and useful.