Friday, November 10, 2017

Little Decorative boxes

How to make a pretty little decorative box using the Proxxon scroll saw



It's Carol 's turn.   Today I want to share with all of you how to make a little decorative boxes the easy way with Proxxon tools.   Actually you get 2 little boxes when you do it this way. 




Equipment/ Supplies:

wood glue
double sticky tape
small hinges   (2 for each box)
2 pieces of contrasting thin wood 1/8" to 1/2" thick.  4" x 16"    (choose 1 light colored wood and 1 dark for maximum contrast)
lacquer or spray for finish
felt or flock (optional) to line interior. 

I started out with a simple plan to make a little box    Here is my layout. 

Cut 2 sets   (one from each strip of wood)




I use the Proxxon mini table saw for all my straight cuts.  It makes it easy to stay square. 






After getting all my pieces cut, I used double sticky tape to tape the light colored lid to the dark colored lid so they would act as one unit while I cut them on the scroll saw.   It is important that they don't shift while cutting or they will not fit properly in the end.   For added protection I used paper tape also.   This served a second purpose as I was able to draw my pattern onto it rather than onto the wood. 










Now its time for the fun part.  I love using  my proxxon scroll saw.   It has 2 speeds and is really smooth.   Generally I like to start out slow then pick up the speed when I can. 




Untape the pieces and look what we got.   😃   It looks like a puzzle.  😟




Ok first things first.   Sand the edges using the Proxxon delta sander.   This gets into all the curves with ease.   I rounded the top edges of the light colored inlay because   I thought it would look pretty just slightly higher than the background.   Rounding the edge makes it look soft. 




Now glue them in so that the centers are one wood and the background the other wood.   See you get 2 lids!  I held them in place with rubberbands.  Let dry. 

 
 

Next lets make some boxes for our lids to sit on.   Its easy.  Glue the long sides onto the bottom.  Measure the length of the shorter sides as these will sit inside the longer sides so they will be a bit shorter.   Glue them to the bottom.   Take care to make it as square as possible.  I use the lid set on top to help with this,   (but don't glue the lid 😨)   I rounded the corners using the proxxon delta sander




if you want to get fancy, cut the sides
like we cut the top.
                                                                                    







Let everything dry and add the hinges.   I predrilled the holes using the proxxon rotary tool


I finished with some water based polyurethane. 



For personalized gifts instead of the vine pattern a special person's name could be inlayed. 
I'm going to pick up a little latch and tiny little lock and make mine a worry box, or maybe my prayer box, jewelry box. memory box...

This project was fun.   Give it a try. 





See you next time!

























6 comments:

Lynn Barbadora said...

Very nice.....such intricate details. Thank you for sharing .

Misty said...

Excellent work Carol , love the design.
The lighter one is my favorite.
Keep it going.

Nell said...

Carol, these are beautiful ! Great project and great work, as usual.

Betty said...

Carol I like both of them way to go girl

Frank said...

Nice little boxes and they seem easy to make. Thanks!

Insane Artist said...

Beautiful...I love them both!