Friday, December 8, 2017

How to make a Christmas bowl from a 7 x 7 piece of wood

How to make a little Christmas bowl from a small piece of wood.




Supplies and tools needed: 






Ruler
pencil
7 x 7 x 1/2" piece of wood
wood glue
Plaid paints

Let's do this:


I started with a 7 x 7 x 1/2 inch piece of clear wood.  I believe mine was aspen wood.   I sanded it smooth using the Proxxon OZI/E detail sander    Using my ruler I drew lines around the edges at 1/2" increments.  These will be the squares I will cut out



Each square required an inside cut so it was necessary to drill a small hole in one corner of each square to slide the scroll saw blade through.    No worries, the blades are very thin so the hole can be very small and will be sanded away easily later.




arrows showing the small holes




Cut out all the squares and you end up with this.


Sand them all good using the trusty Proxxon OZI/E detail sander







Next I alternately painted them red and white using plaid paints.









Next we need a drop of glue in each corner and we will align the squares how we like them. 






Oh I painted a little snowman on the solid little square.  😊

I decorated the parts of the squares that can be seen from the top with candy canes, trees and snowflakes.   Then I found some plates and bowls around the house that just happened to fit and set them in.  You can see that you can make this a candy dish, a candle holder or...

a little candy dish
candle holder



I added a small string of lights to this one.




Just one more thing.  when I was cutting these squares I thought they would also make a nice little photo collage when glued together
  check it out.


I always have fun with my Proxxon tools.  They are easy to handle and take the intimidation right out of the project.  Made for the crafty, casual or serious woodworker.  Go have some fun and make something.

Till next time,  Happy Holidays,  Carol





















6 comments:

Cindy said...

Carol this is just genius! It's so beautiful! I would probably do an LED candle. I have a couple in my livingroom that are timed to come on at a certain time and I love them but this is just so Christmasy. Great tutorial too.

Carol Wulf said...

Thanks Barbara. It was super easy and only required that little piece of wood.

Misty said...

Carol I love this project and it is something
I want. Could you please make one with a
battery so I can place it in the middle of
the table as the center piece. As simple
as it is and as inexpensive, all of the good
things for everyone's projects. You know how I feel
about duel purpose items and the more uses the better.
Good Job. Keep up the out of the box thinking.

Nell said...

Nice, versatile project and so cute !

Unknown said...

I agree this so cute

Nancy Lockner said...

Very creative and functional good job Carol.