Friday, December 1, 2017

How to Make a Kachina White Moon Maiden

How to Make a Kachina White Moon Maiden



This was a bit of a challenge but the Proxxon Micromot
Tools made it possible for me to complete the project.









Tools Required

Proxxon Jig Saw
Proxxon Delta Sander
Proxxon Power Carver
Drill and small drill bit


Supplies 

Hair @ Dollar Tree 
WelBond, Glue Hobby Lobby
Beads, Walmart
Stones for hem, Walmart
Plaid Folk Art Paints (entire project was painted with Plaid Paints)
Gold spray glitter


I started This project with a small but rather tall body gourd.
Then added a  medium  ball off  the top of a second gourd for the head.
Roughed in the eyes on the head.


I then painted the head and face with Plaid folk art paint



Afterwards I started working with the hair.
It is attached to a plastic band meant to fit around a child's head.
I removed it carefully as it was glued on. 



I then added it to the doll head and started styling it to look like something I wanted.




When this was finished the hair was still very thin so I added a second piece of  hair.
I had braided the first hair and made a crown on the top, now I added the second piece trimmed the length and combed  through it as best I could, and used a little hair spray to tame the fly a way's.
The hair is tricky so I suggest you work with it now until you are satisfied.  Place some glue on the hair to hold it how you want it.



Next while this  is setting up some I started on the body.

After I drilled some starting holes I used the Proxxon Jig Saw to cut out stars and moons on each side of the dress.

Now I painted the body white and it took three coats to cover it well, then sprayed a light coat of gold spray glitter to add some sparkle. 

After it was painted I started adding stones to the hem. I drilled small holes and used wire to attach 
the stones to the gourd.  I wound the wire on the inside to tighten the stones, Then I glued the wire down and taped it close to the gourd. That will hold the stones tight to the gourd.

Next I made the neckless and added it to they body gourd. I also added a bit of ribbon to the neck to make a collar effect. Then I used puff paint on the ribbon to bring it all together. 


Here the doll is finished  and the second hair piece has been added to the head, glued,
and dried in place. 

A base was made for the doll. It was carved with the Proxxon Power Carver and decorated with turquois stones.



Next I added some detail to the hair ribbon




Now the white Moon Maiden is completed




I enjoyed making this project It is a original and you are welcome to use it, but would appreaicite it if you would also give me credit for the design,
I thank my friends, Proxxon and plaid for your support, without all of your help this would not be possible.    




Thanks everyone,   Misty








13 comments:

Unknown said...

Misty she is beautiful. I am definitely going to make her. I have not tried my jig saw to cut small openings before. I will also give that a try.

Misty said...

It is much easier with a smaller Proxxon saw but
if you go slow and drill a small hole to
put the blade in should work. If not just
make the design something different or larger.
You are a smart lady and do excellent work
you can figure it out .
If I can help just let me know. Hugs and Love.

Carol Wulf said...

This is an amazing project. She is beautiful. Worth all the effort to put her together. Awesome!! Good directions too.

Unknown said...

Awww she is absolutely stunning, I love this project... thanks for sharing Misty

Misty said...

Thank you Crystal. I know how busy you
are and I thank you for making the time
to visit this blog and comment.
Hugs and Love.
'

Unknown said...

Misty love her she is so pretty. Thanks for constantly adding new things.

Insane Artist said...

Another great project. She is beautiful. Keep up the great work. I look forward to each new adventure..

Unknown said...

Really enjoyed it. Betty

Unknown said...

Really enjoyed it. Betty

Cindy said...

Love the tutorial and this kachina doll is just wonderful Misty! You've definitely put your own spin on this doll and it shows. I can see where a craft person would even want to make her for a young girl to enjoy. Good job!

Misty said...

I thank you all for the kind comments and your
continued support.

Steph Ackerman said...

Great project Misty. You did a fabulous job on her.

Nell said...

She is beautiful ! Great job.