Friday, December 22, 2017

Skating through Christmas Gingerbread boy.

How to make a simple ornament from scrap wood with Proxxon tools



Christmas isn't always about snow.   I was raised in Southern California and back the distant past I remember Christmas as almost always being sunny and bright.  A great day to get outdoors and try out all the new toys.   A bike, a skateboard or...     Here's a little California gingerbread boy on a skateboard wishing you Merry Christmas!   Made with easy to use, user friendly, Proxxon tools.



Supplies and equipment needed:

a piece of leftover or scrap wood

small wood screws or nails

proxxon scroll saw

proxxon OZI/E detail sander

proxxon rotary tool

 small drill bits

plaid paints

yarn .



This is an easy project, made even easier using proxxon tools.  

The first thing I did was to draw a simple gingerbread boy shape on my piece of wood then cut it out using the proxxon scroll saw   

I sanded the edges a little bit round using the Proxxon OZI/E detail sander then drew some dots where I am going to drill holes for dressing him up later.  
Then, using the rotary tool I drilled my holes.  and sanded again.    




Time to paint

however you like.   
I used plaid paints



Then I used a needle and red yarn and stitched around him.  I went around twice to make the V shaped pattern I wanted.   Then I painted the yarn white letting some of the red show through.



He needed a stand of some sort so I built him a little skateboard.   I used the rotary tool to drill out two holes for him to stand in so that he would be secure.  I used 2 screws that I countersunk from the bottom to hold him tight.  I added two little round pieces of wood that I had painted to be his feet.  He is ready to go.





Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year.    Catch ya next time,  Carol.  


4 comments:

Misty said...

Carol this turned out so cute. I love it.
I know it took a lot of detail work but
it proved to be worth it. Good Job and very
good instructions.

Cindy said...

That skateboard just sets your little guy off for Christmas in warm weather. I know this would be a nice touch for someone who wants to think of warmer weather. Nice tutorial too.

Unknown said...

Really. Cute great ide

Frank said...

Very cute! This would make nice project for kids - assuming of course that some adult cut the wood pieces first.