Friday, January 12, 2018

How to make a recipe stand


Supplies:
wooden clipboard
2 small nuts and bolts preferably with rounded heads
1 x 3x 10 inch board.  I used cedar
2 small 4" long 1/4" dowels
Plaid's coastal paints  I used Largo blue and lemonade.
gesso paint for priming the board
Krylon matte spray  (optional)
Mona Lisa film sanding sheet.

Equipment:
Proxxon OZI/E detail sander
Proxxon mini table saw FET
Drill and drill bits  1/8" and 1/4"
Plaid's special design roller
Paint tray

The first step is to prepare the clipboard.  I took the clip off of the board to facilitate painting it as a flat surface.  I did this using the 1/8" drill bit.  It came off easily and left 2 small holes which we can use later to refasten it.

 Next I painted both sides with white gesso and let this dry well. Then sanded it with a really fine  piece of Mona Lisa film, sanding sheet.



I chose to paint my back ground with Plaid's lemonade yellow coastal paint. It is a beautiful color!   I used two coats and then let it dry completely.



Here comes the fun part.  Using Martha Stewart's Largo Blue coastal paint I used the design roller to roll on the beautiful design.   Instructions come on the package are super simple to follow.



Use the Matte spray (if desired) to seal the paint.   This paint does not require a sealer, however since I will use it to hold recipes I used it so that food splatter could be cleaned off easily.

Now put the clip back on.  I used the 2 small nuts and bolts.   The nut should go on the front side but will be under the clip and not cause any problems.

 



Now to make the stand.
First cut your wood to size using the Proxxon table saw FET


We need a slot for the clipboard to rest in.  To do this you will make a slot (dado) to fit the clipboard.  The splitter and the blade cover on the table saw need to be removed for this.   I adjusted the blade to approx. 1/4" depth and set the blade to tilt to 15 degrees.  This is so the clipboard will lean slightly.   Using the fence set about 1/2 inch from the blade run your piece of wood over the blade.  Important the blade should not cut completely through the wood, but about halfway   This is going to make you a narrow groove.   This groove is too thin for the clipboard to sit in so you will need to move the fence just slightly farther away and run the board through again to widen the groove.  After you do this check the fit with the clipboard.  You may have to run it through a third time.  You want it to slide in easily but not be overly loose.  


Sand all your sides and edges using the Proxxon OZI/E detail sander.    Seal the wood with sealer of your choice.





I noticed that the clipboard wanted to tip over backwards but I did not want to make the stand any bigger so I drilled 2 1/4" holes 1/2" deep into the back edge so that I could insert the dowels to stabilize it.  These can be removed when storing to save space.   



this is the backside

I would like to thank  and Proxxon Mini Tools for their support and for supplying tools to make these projects
I would also like to thank plaid paints  
  For sending paints and new products and Patterned Rollers to do these projects.  
Plaid has some new and exciting paints to try. 
Last but not least Terri Sproul our point of contact , coach and leader. Also the person who jumps in to help whenever and wherever it is needed.
I also want to thank all of  our supporters who come and visit and like the blogs.  Without you this would not be possible. 




8 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your choice of colors, and that you were able to add the removable dowels to keep the stand more stable.

charlotte fletcher@roma land woodcrafts said...

Very creative!

Nell said...

I like the colors and the pretty design on the clipboard. Nice project.

Anonymous said...

really like this project cause I am always getting stuff on the pages

Unknown said...

What a neat idea Misty I could never come up with all your ideas. Neat

Cindy said...

What a cute idea! And you could decorate it in any way that would correspond with your kitchen. Great place to have those recipes when you're using them instead of on the counter.

Carol Wulf said...

Misty, this came out really pretty. I love the colors and the pattern is just amazing. Smart thinking to put it on a stand so that it doesn't lay on the counter getting cookie goo all over it. Love the tutorial. Nice work.

Insane Artist said...

Great idea!! Handy. Loved the colors and design. Another wonderful project.