Saturday, February 24, 2018

How to make a driftwood candle holder

My Proxxon tools have helped me make a very nice, decorative piece. This post has a beachy theme which is very fitting as I am at the Florida Gourd Show helping a friend with her booth. I love the beaches that I've been to in Florida and all the shells that I have collected.





For this project you will need:

Proxxon Band Saw
Proxxon Delta Sander
Small nails
Hammer
Glue
Raffia
Seashells
Brown paint
Sealer
Small pieces of driftwood
Small board to cut base out of


The first thing to do on this project is to draw a circle on the wood and cut it out with the band saw. I checked the bottom piece of wood with the width of the candle that I planned to put in it and drew my line accordingly. 


I next sanded the edge of the round wooden piece smooth. I painted the bottom of the gourd with the brown paint and let it dry.


I cut the pieces of driftwood on one end to make them all level on the bottom of the candle holder. I checked as to how the pieces would sit together around the candle and tried placing several different pieces before I came up with ones that would go around the wood bottom and fit.


Next I nailed the driftwood pieces into the bottom side of the circle that I had cut out of wood.

Once everything was in place I took some raffia and wove it in and out of the driftwood pieces and cinched them together along with a little glue. After tying the raffia into a bow, I glued some seashells to the front and voila' my candle holder was finished! Here's the finished look with the candle in it.

9 comments:

Misty said...

Nice project Barbara. Would make a very nice gift, for teachers and
neighbors or just a RAK gift.
As always very clear instructions and well done.


Unknown said...

Cool idea! Wouldn't that be awesome as a housewarming gift!

Anonymous said...

The candle is very professional and I love the beach theme. You are so creative!

Unknown said...

It looks awesome!

vicki said...

This would be great for a beachy theme room!

Charlotte Branz said...

You make it look so easy. You could sell these candles in a booth along with the gourds that you decorate.

Unknown said...

Very simple but homey. Nice job!!!

Unknown said...

Very easy I love it.

Carol Wulf said...

Looks great! Makes me want to go to a beach.. somewhere,...anywhere...please! Nice job, it looks fun to make.