Sunday, February 4, 2018

How to Make a Unicorn Finger Puppet

Fuel the imagination of a little one with a magical unicorn finger puppet. This easy-to-make toy is sure to be a hit with the littles in your life.

Supplies and Equipment for Making the Unicorn Finger Puppet

Instructions for Making the Unicorn Finger Puppet

  1. Print the pattern for the finger puppet.
  2. Mount the pattern onto your selected substrate. (Remember the Hidden Book Shelf Storage Unit that I made? Well, I never throw anything away, so I used the leftover hardboard book covers to make this finger puppet.) Cover the substrate with painter's tape; spray the back of the pattern with removable adhesive; place the pattern on the substrate. The adhesive holds the pattern in place, and the painter's tape makes for easy removal.
  3. My piece of hardboard was larger than I needed, so after mounting the pattern, I cut it down to size using the band saw.
  4. Cut the unicorn shape using the scroll saw.
  5. Using the professional rotary tool, drill holes for the mane and tail.
  6. Drill pilot holes for the finger holes.
  7. Use the scroll saw the cut out the finger holes. The quick release on the Proxxon Scroll Saw DS 460 makes it easy to thread the saw blade into the pilot holes.
  8. Sand any rough edges with the disc sander or Delta sander.
  9. Decorate the finger puppet. I used the pattern to cut a piece of glitter vinyl; glued on a googly eye; and, attached yarn scraps for the mane and tail. Alternatively, you could paint the puppet with FolkArt acrylic paints.
  10. Let your young on have fun with this unicorn finger puppet.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

That is such an awesome project Carole! I know that children would enjoy playing with it for hours! And you could change your animals to make a different one that suited the child. Just love it.

Misty said...

Carol sorry I am late visiting but I thought
I had posted and told you how much I liked
this project. It is adorable and I know the
children love playing with something so unique.
I must have posted to DT. Sorry.

Carol Wulf said...

That is a really cute project. I envision boys with fighting bulls, and girls with ballerina dolls. Endless possibilities. How fun is this!!! Excellent tutorial.

nosheb danish said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.