Friday, February 16, 2018

Simple wood butterflies



February...and, the butterflies are nowhere to be found, and I miss them!!  I suspect they are all sunning themselves down south, not thinking of us at all, while we endure the cold. Oh well.... who needs them anyway, We can make our own.

This is a really, really, easy project, and it was fun too! 
After pruning some trees, I again find myself with lots of  "material" to work with.



Here is what we will need.

Equipment and Materials 


1- Yard scraps- I used limbs with diameters of 1"-2"
pine needles
twigs

2- A proxxon tool  -your choice of -
(any and all of these work for this but I found the bandsaw easiest to use)


4- Glue gun and glue sticks


So lets begin... 


First thing I did after gathering my scraps was to cut some very thin slices which I will use as "wings"   I cut them on an angle (about 30 degrees)  so they would be a little more oblong or "butterflywing" shape. What's neat too is that as they dry they curve a little bit. 






                                                                         table saw                                                                             band saw






I sanded them smooth using the proxxon OZI/E detail sander





Next I chose a twig that had a little "V" shape.   This just made it easier to glue on the bigger upper wings.  I placed a dab of hot glue and stuck on the top wings





Next, (bet you couldn't guess), I glued the bottom wings to the twig.

 I snipped off the extra twig pieces, then added another twig piece for the body, again using the hot glue to secure.   Careful, that glue gets HOT. 


                          



Pine needles make great antennae!
just a dab of glue to the back, slap them on and cut them to size.  

          


All done!






Now stick them everywhere!      They make great refrigerator magnets, or put a bunch on a little branch for a centerpiece.  







Have fun with them! 
                                        


Thanks for visiting.                Catch ya next time  
                                                     (don't make me have to use my butterfly net!)

Carol





4 comments:

Misty said...

Carol I love this. What a cute idea and they make a sweet vase addition. Bet if you added a few flowers and painted them it would give a whole new perspective. Cannot beat the material cost a drop of glue her and there, wow.
Good One!

Unknown said...

Carole these are really cute. Love them.

Nell said...

Carol, you come up with the cutest ideas. These turned out great and you can do a lot with them.

Anonymous said...

Carol WHAT CAN I SAY BUT I LOVE THEM KEEP UP THE GREAT IDEAS BJ