Saturday, March 9, 2019

How to Make a St. Patrick's Day Door Hanger





Since becoming a Designer on Proxxon Tools and a couple of other products, I've been making several different decor projects to put on my front door.

Supplies Needed for this Project:

Plaid Paints: Gold- Glitterific, Neon Green-Extreme Glitter, Kelly Green-Folk Art Acrylic, Licorice-Color Shift
A Raised Paint (I used Scribbles)
Freezer Paper
Pencil
Graphite Paper
Brushes and water
Ribbon for hanging
1/4" piece of scrap wood

These are the Plaid Paints that I used in this project. I will say that none of the pictures, no matter how hard I tried, really did justice to the paints. The Plaid Glitterific is a paint that has a chunky glitter right in the paint so you don't have to worry about a big mess with glitter everywhere. About three years ago I spilled glitter in my craft room and I'm still getting that stuff up! I know if you've ever used glitter, that you've encountered something along the same lines. The Plaid Extreme Glitter is the same but has a finer glitter in the paint, and both of these paints are awesome! The Plaid Color Shift paints are beautiful colors which reflect the light back at you when the project is moved, pretty amazing stuff!


You start this project by drawing the pattern out on freezer paper and then using graphite paper to transfer the design to a piece of scrap wood that was used for this project.


I like using the freezer paper because it's inexpensive and large enough for what I want to draw. I also like to use graphite paper to transfer the designs.


Once the pattern was transferred use your Proxxon Band Saw to cut out the outside of the design.


The Proxxon Delta Sander worked great for taking off all the rough edges. This sander is so easy to use, hold and it's not heavy.


I used the paints to paint all of the different parts of this St. Patty's Day hat and by leaning the project a bit and letting a lot of light hit it I was able to give you a bit of the effect the Plaid Glitterific had on that shamrock. Talk about sparkle! I used a paint that is actually a fabric paint that gives a raised effect for the lettering.


Using the Proxxon Drill and Bit I made two holes in the hat and ran glittery ribbon through them to make a hanger for the St. Patrick's Day Door Hanger.

See? This project wasn't that hard and the Proxxon Tools and Plaid Paints made it so easy to do. Go over to www.plaidonline.com to see all of the Plaid products and to www.proxxon.com to see all of the wonderful tools that Proxxon has made to make your projects easier to make.

Barbara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now, that's just pretty darn cute!
Marsha

Unknown said...

Cute!

Carol Wulf said...

Looks good on your door. Nice way to spruce up your home for a St Pattys day celebration ! I agree with you on the glitter, glad there is now a way that is not so messy.