Friday, May 17, 2019

How to make a hanging storage unit for your workshop

Ok everybody. I have a confession to make.   I am a tool hound and I admit it.   Now that has created a little bit of a problem for me.   I have a nice workshop, that  also serves as an extended garage so storage and organization  have always been a problem.   I need a dedicated level space so I can actually "work" on the workbench , but, I also want my beloved tools to be right handy too.  And while I am whining just a little bit,  let me add, what can I do with all those electrical cords??????





Equipment and Supplies
Pegboard, size of your choosing (this will be the back of your cabinet)
1 x 8 x ?  Cut to equal sides matching the side lengths of your pegboard plus a top and bottom that  match your pegboard's top and bottom lengths.
My cabinet measured 24 x 37. and was 6" deep
1/2" x 6" board (from which you will make your custom compartments)
Pegboard pegs, cup hooks, nails and screws.
Proxxon mini table saw
Proxxon OZI/E delta sander
Proxxon professional rotary tool with small drill bits
Cordless drill with screwdriver bits.

The first thing I did was to build my "box"  This was done simply by cutting the wood to size and then using 1 1/2" screws to put it together.   I always use my Proxxon rotary tool with a small bit to make pilot holes.  I hate it when a wood piece is split by a screw.

We got the box 
Now comes the fun part.

I had a vague idea about what I was going to store in my cabinet so I cut pieces of my 1/2" thick board to sizes that would make my various compartments.   I used the Proxxon mini table saw for this and of course I always sand everything smooth using my Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  I still hate, hate, hate, splinters! and I still love, love, LOVE  OZI/E for making them go away.









Put together, mine looks like this.     The two boards up top are going to be secured to the rafters above my workbench so the cabinet will hang.   The screws are 2 1/2" long.  I don't want this thing to fall.


I painted the outside blue with some house paint I had left over.   Then I went nuts adding pegs and cup hooks, nails to hang things on etc.  My wonderful Proxxon hand tools now have dedicated hook and will always be handy, always plugged in, and always ready to go.   Check it out!  I mounted a power strip on the back and cup hooks to hold the extra long cords out of the way.


See my Proxxon rotary tool, my Proxxon OZI/E delta sander and my Proxxon mini Jigsaw hanging on the bottom?  Handy huh?   And I have my dust mask, my sanding pads, my glue, tape, clamps, screws, nails, ear protection, gloves, pencils and and and,......All this used to be on the table, in the way and getting knocked over.   And look at the back, my cords are handled.  Yay.  👍😊

  Hope this inspires you.  When you run out of space look up.   
Thanks Proxxon, and thank you all for visiting.     Till next time.  Enjoy the day.  Carol

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hay this is ideal for a person workshop I lay something down and it takes an hour to find it again GREAT IDEA bj