Thursday, May 16, 2019

How To Make a Colonial Tavern Sign


Hi everyone!! As some of you might remember from my previous projects, I'm obsessed with antiques and everything colonial.
I wanted to make my own version of an antique tavern sign to hang over my fireplace. Follow along with me and I'll show you how I did it.

SUPPLIES: 
  • Proxxon Micro Bandsaw
  • Proxxon Delta Sander
  • Print of your choice enlarged for the project
  • 1/2' sanded birch plywood 30' x 14"
  • Plaid Inspirations chalk paint  Ink color
  • Plaid Inspirations wax  antique color
  • Plaid Apple Barrel paint  Sunbeam color
  • Plaid Mod Podge  Matte finish
  • Assorted wooden trim moldings
  • small pieces of scrap pine for finials
  • Paint brushes for lettering
  • 2" paint brush
  • white pencil
Cut plywood 14" x 30"



Draw scroll pattern on top and bottom of plywood. Cut out design using the Proxxon Micro Bandsaw.






Sand all edges with the Proxxon Delta Sander.



Paint the back with the Plaid Inspirations paint in the Ink color and let dry. Paint the front except where the print will be glued.




Apply Mod Podge on the back of print. Carefully apply print to the unpainted surface of your plywood. Smooth out any bubbles and let dry. After dry apply Mod Podge to the front of print. I stipple it on so when dry it gives it an aged look.






Draw your lettering on with a white pencil.



Fill in your lettering with the Plaid Apple Barrel Paint in the Sunbeam color.



Cut trim moldings to size using the Proxxon Micro Band Saw. I applied them using wood glue.



I cut small finials from scrap wood. Shaped them with the Proxxon Delta Sander and glued them at the top of the rope molding.



I dry brushed on the Plaid Inspirations Antique wax in certain areas to make it look old.  let dry. Lastly, I brushed on one coat of Mod Podge over everything.



I love how it turned out! Can't wait to hang it up! Thanks for following along with me.

Colleen

1 comment:

Carol Wulf said...

Wow I love that project and I learned something new about mod podge. I love how the stippled technique worked to make it look painted and old. Nice work and clear tutorial.