Sunday, July 17, 2022

How to Make a Simple Display Stand

 When I'm testing out a new pattern I often use MDF for the first prototype. It's less expensive than wasting a great piece of hardwood. That's what I've done for this display stand. 

Supplies and Equipment

Instructions

  1. Print the display stand pattern of your choice, and cut two blanks of appropriate size.

  2. Tape the blanks together with painter's tape to facilitate cutting both at the same time.

  3. Mist the back side of the pattern with spray adhesive, and mount on the taped blanks. The painter's tape makes removal of the pattern easy without leaving any sticky residue.

  4. Use the bandsaw or scroll saw to cut out the shape.

  5. Sand the edges with the Delta sander. I use the Delta sander mounted in the Precision Vice FMZ.

  6. Since this was a prototype, I could stop here, knowing that the design works. But, it seemed that I could still make this a serviceable display stand, so I coated each piece with gesso, and then painted them with acrylic paint. If this were a completed hardwood stand, I would probably opt for a waxed or oiled finish.

  7. The final step in making this prototype functional was adding hinges. Problem: even the slimmest nails/screws split the MDF. Solution: I cut two ½" x 2"pieces of aluminum tape for hinges. For a hardwood stand, I would choose tiny brass hinges.

  8. So, now I have a functional display stand from a prototype. I know the design works, so I plan to make more using a variety of hardwoods.

Carole

No comments: