Thursday, July 14, 2022

How to make a simple puzzle for a young child



 Hi everybody.  
👨👨👧👧👦👧👦

Today let's make a simple wooden puzzle for the young child.  It is easy and can be customized for that child.  I am going to use simple shapes, but you might want to cut out their name as puzzle pieces or something unique for them I will be using Proxxon tools because they are awesome.


I recently obtained a big piece of plywood that they call "blond wood"   I had never seen it before, but it is a nice 1/2" plywood that comes sanded and primed, so it is smooth on both sides and basically ready for whatever you want to make.  The employee at the hardware store told me it was often used for cabinet making so it is top of the line.  Anyhow it was perfect for this project.   I had them cut my 4' x 8' piece in half at the store simply so I could fit it in the car.  I used a circular saw to cut a strip 6" wide that I can use for this and other projects. 

    

At the Proxxon mini bandsaw I cut a piece 12" long to be the base of my puzzle.



 Next, I drew some simple shapes.  This is for a very young child.


I need to cut these shapes out, but first I want to drill some holes where I can insert dowels as handles for the puzzle pieces.  So, I did that with a regular drill with a bit that was the same diameter as my dowels.


Now I want to cut out the pieces, but I don't want to cut inside the pieces, so I used the Proxxon cordless rotary tool with a very small bit and made a tiny opening in the line I am about to cut.   



I will thread the scroll saw blade through that hole and cut out my pieces one by one.  Check out the Proxxon mini scroll saw,  It is a really nice machine with so many practical uses.  

\
I use the Proxxon min band saw next to cut my dowels approx 1" long.  Watch your fingers!   Alternately you could use the scroll saw for this.  I glued my dowels in place and let dry well



Everything gets a good sanding using both my OZI/E dlelta sander and my cordless mini belt sander.  These are both great little tools from Proxxon.  I hate sanding but these make it painless.




Meanwhile, I use the proxxon mini table saw to cut a piece of scrap board to 5 x 11" and glue it to the bottom of the base of the puzzle.  This is to keep the pieces from falling through. 




I used Plaid paints to paint my pieces.  I am giving this child extra clues with color as to how to solve this puzzle.  I painted the holes for the pieces the same color as the pieces.  



I didn't like how the dowel pieces looked like they could be a little dangerous so I placed and glued wood beads over them.  This puzzle is done.

Thanks for visiting.  Till next time.....Carol

1 comment:

Misty said...

Carol this is a great blog. I bet I know who gets it too, perfect age

You come up with some marvelous Ideas.

Keep up using the small tools and finding the correct items for the tools.

Best wishes on future perfect choices.
Misty