Friday, January 18, 2019

How to make Hedgehogs and Lions to Celebrate Valentine's Day



Hope you are all off to a good start in 2019.   Holidays are over.   Now it's time for some winter respite.   I have a really easy project for you today.  This will help you celebrate Valentine's day!  
 The story behind the story is...…. I was walking in the park, nosing around and found these neat acorns.   (I was going to say "little acorns" but truthfully these are really big acorns! about the size of a golf ball.)   Look at it...,. doesn't it just look like a little hedgehog?  Little nose, prickly back...?   I can already picture it, so let us begin.  ❤ 

Tools and Equipment:
acorn or acorns  
small piece of scrap wood or piece of a branch cut off
Proxxon mini scroll saw
Proxxon professional rotary tool
Proxxon cone shaped rasp cutter No 29 062
Proxxon OZI/E delta sander
paintbrush
small drill bit
glue

Paint brush
Plaid paints:  I used Martha Stewart Black satin;  Cinnamon 2558E; Nutmeg brown 20521E,; Bright Magenta 20591E; Bright yellow 20513E; and Cardinal red 414E.





The first thing I did was to paint my little hedgehog's face.  (I couldn't wait) flesh colored, (cinnamon), face, little black eyes and nose, and a dab of bright magenta on the cheeks.




I think hedgehogs have the cutest little feet and this little guy needs something to help him stand on so he won't keep rolling over.  We can take care of that using our handy proxxon tools.  I  love these tools, especially for the smaller projects.   
I started by hollowing out a "sitting place" on a scrap piece of wood using the rasp cutter on the Proxxon professional rotary tool. Then the  Proxxon mini scroll saw made cutting out the little feet easy.


It looks a little rough, but that is because it was really soft wood.   No worries, the next step will smooth everything out.  



This is the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.   It is the finest sander for any detail work.  It will get into all the small spaces and smooth things out.



Sanded and painted.     Oh I cut out and painted a little heart also. Then I glued it all together to finish it off.   I think he is cute.   

With a little yellow paint and a few whiskers.   ( I used the Proxxon rotary tool and small drill to make some tiny holes where I inserted some wood slivers)  I made him a Lion.  🦁


Now that was fun and easy!

Thanks everyone for stopping by.  Thanks Proxxon and Plaid and Mother earth for suppling the tools, paint, and acorns.
See ya next time.   Play safe !!    Carol 

6 comments:

Nell said...

You are so creative !! This is an adorable project and it turned out so cute.

Carol Wulf said...

Thank you Nell. It was a snap to make.

Cindy said...

I have a bunch of those acorns! What a cute idea to use them for. I love it and love your creativity. Wonderful!

Misty said...

Carol this is too cute! Makes such adorable
acorn pets.

You come up with some of the neatest ideas.
WTG.

Keep the ideas flowing.

liza said...

Thanks for sharing this Post, Keep Updating such topics.
visit our website

harry said...

Thanks for the warn and great post dear!visit our website