Friday, January 4, 2019

How to make a perpetual calendar


Good-bye 2018!!---- Hello 2019 !!
Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and are looking forward to a fantastic new year!

What does everyone need right about now?      besides a million dollars to pay off holiday bills?
How bout...………………………...a new calendar for a new year.   💡
better yet, let's make one that we can use year after year.




It's easy and fun to make using Proxxon tools, Plaid paints and craft accessories, and
Kapro measuring tools.   Get the kids to help decorate and you have a really neat family project.

Tools and equipment 
Proxxon mini bandsaw   (optional)
¼" birch or other plywood
½" pine or poplar scrap wood
wood glue
wood clamps or weights
2 small nails
11 long shaft hooks small

Let's get started.   To begin with, let me thank plaid paints for sending me  a Pallet Plaque.  Its a wonderful surface to decorate or paint.

Plaid's pallet plaque

Kapro measure mate 313

I am going to make 5 slots for sliding numbers that will be my days for each month, so the first thing  to do is to measure using the measure mate 313 tool and make lines where I will attach my rows. These centering lines will be about 2" apart.    I left a little extra space at the top so that I can label the days and month.  I use this the Kapro measure mate 313 for all my measuring.  It is so handy. I mark all my measurements lightly on the plaque piece. 

  I  decided to make my numbers 1 ½ '" square.  This will give me an adequate edge to slide.   (you will understand this better a little later)  for now, trust me...(famous last words!)




Using the Proxxon mini table saw with the fence I cut my 31  1½" tiles out of the ¼" birch plywood sanded them,and set them aside for later.  (these are for the days of the month)  In this picture I am cutting the lengths.   




Proxxon bandsaw
  I then cut the tiles to width using the Proxxon mini bandsaw so that I could cut several at one time.  You could also use the table saw or scroll saw if you wish.  Now we have 31   1 1/2" squares.

Next cut 12 pieces of the birch plywood into 1" x 4" pieces.  (these are for the months).  set them aside for now also.

To make the ledges where the numbers will slide I used ½" x 1½" by 14" poplar slats.  I removed the blade cover and splitter from the proxxon table saw and set my blade height to ¼".  I adjusted my fence to just smaller than the 1½" to take just the edge off, Moving it closer and closer making a pass  each time on each side to form two channels on each ledge approximately ¼" deep and ¼" wide.  Be sure to sand the channels well so the tiles will slide nice.  I always use the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander for jobs like this.  

  
I split one of the ledges in half to use for the top and bottom pieces.  This is done easily and accurately on the proxxon band saw.  I clamped a straight edge to ensure my cut would be centered and straight.  Caution:   watch your fingers!!



I used gorilla wood glue to glue the ledges onto the Plaid pallet plaque and used weights and clamps to hold it firmly.  I left it overnight to dry well.


Next I used the proxxon mini drill press to drill 2 small holes in each of the month tiles.   
These need to be in the same place on each tile as they will alternately hang on 2 nails at the top of the plaque announcing the month.  


PAINT- PAINT-PAINT and DECORATE
to your hearts ❤desire.
Plaid paints come in so many colors and textures,  Let your kids help or let the kid in you go crazy!   Make it your own. 🖌
  

Here's mine.   OH yeah..  I added some hooks at the bottom to hold the coming months.  If I put them somewhere else, likely I would forget where I put them. This will keep them handy.  For short months just turn 31, and/or 30 and 29 around.  gosh darn February.    Also I put 2 small nails in the top board to hold the months.   Plaid pallet plaque already has a picture hanger on the back so all I need is a screw or nail in the wall.   Calendar forever!!
Everybody have a HAPPY HAPPY and healthy New Year!

Thank you Proxxon,  Plaid,  Kapro, and Terri S. 👍
till next time you all should have some fun!   Carol  






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job and wonderful project.
Beautiful gift idea. You have out done yourself.
Congratulation on finding so many good project ideas.

Nell said...

This is a great project. So useful and handy. Love the paint job also.

Cindy said...

That's really neat Carol! I love it! Yep, you've got a calendar forever there! Wonderful tutorial!