Saturday, April 13, 2019

Gourds made easier with Proxxon Tools!





I have been so busy with my business lately that I've found it hard to find time to work on gourds which is my Art passion. It's also great therapy for me in dealing with my pain so I took the time to make this gourd with the help of my Proxxon Tools.

Supplies needed for this project:

Gourd
Artificial Sinew
Large Bead
Dyed Paper Twist
Large Eyed Needle
Black Paint
Paint brush
Alcohol Ink
Piece of cloth to apply ink with

To start this project you need to clean the outside of the gourd, once that is done you use your Proxxon Jig Saw to cut the top off and clean the inside of the gourd.


The Proxxon Jig Saw is truly the best saw around when it comes to cutting a gourd. It can cut those thick ones without a problem.



This is what the gourd show look like after you finished cleaning the inside and then painting it black.
After the gourd bowl is finished to this point you need to apply the alcohol ink to the outside of the gourd.



I used a color of alcohol ink that gave the gourd some color but didn't overpower it. I like the natural mottling of the gourd to shine through when I'm doing this kind of gourd bowl/basket.



I used the Proxxon Rotary Tool to make holes about 1/2 inch apart all around the rim of the gourd. In this picture you can actually see the gourd dust going up as I was using the Rotary Tool. This is why you should always wear a respirator when you are working with gourds. You may think this isn't much dust but it can affect you many years later after breathing it in now. Please wear a respirator!



Now after you've made your holes around the rim of the gourd you must coil your paper twist around the top of the gourd with your artificial sinew. See how uniform the coiling is around the top? I coiled four layers on this gourd. Then you tie off your large bead and glue it in place, once that's done just clip off the end of the paper twist wherever you want and untwist it to get this look.

I thought this project turned out very well and turned out very pretty. Decor? Usable basket? I'll let you decide that one. Please check out the tools that www.proxxon.com has to offer and really check out that Flex shaft too! It makes the www.proxxon.com products that it fits so much easier to use and the flex shaft is much easier on your hands too. Thanks for reading and commenting! Hope to see you again soon.

Barbara




2 comments:

Carol Wulf said...

That is a beautiful gourd. How creative using that paper twist. It really finished it up nice!

Misty said...

Hey Barbara,Sorry I am so later getting to your
post.
It has been busy around here. Your gourd is lovely
and your work is impeccable.
Miss seeing you around.
Keep up the great work.