Friday, April 5, 2019

How to make an easy welcome sign using the proxxon rotary tool.

Hi everyone.   Today is going to be fun and easy.   We are going to make a welcome sign that uses the hand held Proxxon rotary tool to rout out a cute little sign.   This project is really good for beginners as no big or scary tools are needed!
 

Let's get started 

Equipment and Supplies


Proxxon rotary tool of your choice. 
 (check out the proxxon web site, as several models are available)


   Nice piece of wood.   (I used a pine board 1 x 4 approx. 18" long.
Acrylic paints  I always use Plaid because of the wide assortment, and how pretty they are.
Approx. 2 ft of wire.
Small drill bit.  Can be used in Proxxon's rotary tool or in Proxxon's mini drill press.  
Brush on or spray on, sealer/gloss (optional)
picture hanger.

To get started, I first used my computer to write out my saying.   I figured they would have better handwriting than me, but in the end I just wrote my saying on my board.  This is the guideline I will follow.



This next step is not necessary but I put it here so I can showcase another one of the Proxxon tools that I find helpful to use sometimes.   In this step I took the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander and assembled the cutting tool. (see left below)  This is an oscillating cutter and works really well on straight edges.  I used it a little bit here on some of the straight edges.  This step can be omitted because the Proxxon tungsten carbide burrs  will do the trick just as well.  But remember this cutting tool as it has many handy uses.

      

Now, let's do it!

It was So simple,   All you need to do is follow the lines.  I used the ball nose burr for the majority of the work, then switched to the taper for the finer details.  It is almost just like writing.  But, I do have an important pointer here.  If you go opposite the way of the burrs rotation, (In other words, right to left or clockwise) you will have better control.  Going the same direction as the spin can cause it to jump ahead.   These burrs can really eat up the wood.   Good thing the Proxxon rotary tool has an adjustable speed dial, so you can go as fast or slow as you feel comfortable.  👍

.

Next, I decided to paint the words.  I used Plaid's burnt sienna and simply brushed it into the carved out words.
Oops,I was a little messy with the paint, No problem,  I used the OZI/E delta sander to clean up the wayward paint.   Just rub the sander over the whole thing.  This serves 2 purposes.  Smooths everything out and the paint in the grooves stays where it should and the messiness is sanded away.


A small step I added just for decoration was to use the ball nose burr around the edges to add some texture.


I painted some more, (I love color and Plaid paints)


I was having so much fun that I did a little sign the same way.  I attached it with some wires after I drilled 2 holes in the bottom of the first sign and the top of the bottom sign.  I used the Proxxon mini drill press  with a small bit for this, But, you can also insert the bit into the Proxxon rotary tool and make those holes.   


The wire I twisted around a small dowel to make it twisty looking, then pulled it through the holes and twisted it like a knot to hold it secure.    To keep the finish nice, I sprayed it with Krylon Crystal clear, 2 coats. To the back I added a picture hanger and it was done. 

 I am going to hang it on my door.   My coffee buddy, Betty, is gonna get a kick out of this!

Thanks for stopping by.   I always, always, always have fun using my tools and making stuff, and I really enjoy sharing it all with you.  Thanks Proxxon, Plaid, and Terri.   Till next time.  Play safe and have fun.    Carol



2 comments:

Misty said...

Great one and you re right Betty will love this.
Get her hung on the front door.
Very nice and simple but neat project.

Nell said...

This sign should make everyone feel welcome when they come to your door. Great project !