Thursday, April 18, 2019

HOW TO BUILD A VINTAGE STYLE TOOL CADDY


    Hi everyone! I'm back out in my workshop getting ready to build my next project using Proxxon tools! I've found that even though these tools are small, I can still build almost anything. Today I'm making a vintage style tool caddy. Follow along with me and I'll show you how I did it.

Supplies:
  • Proxxon Micro Band Saw
  • Proxxon Bench Drill Press
  • Proxxon Delta Sander
  • 3/8' sanded birch plywood
  • Waverly Inspirations Chalk Paint by Plaid (Crimson and Ink)
  • Waverly Inspirations Wax by Plaid (Clear and Antique)
  • 3/4" brad nails 
  • Wood Glue
  • Wood Putty
  • Paper for pattern
  • Paint brush 2"
  • Waxing Brush
  1. I drew my pattern pieces out on paper determining how big I wanted the caddy then transferred the pattern on some scrap 3/8" birch plywood I had left over from my last project.


  2. Using the Proxxon Micro Band Saw I cut out my 6 pieces (1 base, 4 sides and a center divider). The 4 side pieces need to have a beveled edge on the bottom in order to set flat on the base. I set the table of the band saw at 15 degrees and trimmed the bottom edges.

  3. Using a brad nailer, 3/4' brads and wood glue I put together the 4 side pieces. Before I attached them to the base I sanded all the edges except the bottom edges. I like to sand it in spots to make it look worn and old.

  4. Using the 3/4' brads and wood glue I attached the sides to the bottom.
  5. The center divider piece is also used as a handle so I drilled it out for finger grips. I used the Proxxon Bench Drill Press and a 1' hole saw bit. I sanded it to look worn. I positioned the divider in the center of the caddy and attached it with brads and wood glue.

  6. At this time I now filled any nail holes or voids in the plywood with wood putty and let dry. After dry give the whole thing a good sanding.

  7. Now I'm ready to paint! I chose to use the Waverly Inspirations Chalk Paint by Plaid in the Crimson color. I put on 2 coats. After completely dry I applied the Waverly Inspirations Chalk Paint in the Ink color using the dry brush method. putting a tiny amount on my brush and blotting off most on a paper towel then sparingly painting in spots that I want to look worn from age. let dry.



  8. I then went over the entire piece with Waverly Inspirations Clear Wax by Plaid. Let it dry overnight and applied the antique wax.


   Here's my finished project! I cant wait to use it on my patio and fill it with flowers. Thanks for following along with me.


 Colleen


No comments: