Friday, September 6, 2019

How to make some dog and cat decor for the kids, (using scraps from the shop)

Hi everyone.    Today l have a project the kids are going to enjoy.   We will be making some whimsical décor for their bedrooms using only scraps found in the workshop.  To make it even better let's let the kids paint and decorate.

Materials and equipment needed.  
Scrap wood.  I used some 1/2" x 3" pieces of pine cut offs
Wood glue, 
toothpicks
washers, nuts bolts, screws or  anything you can find to decorate.
Proxxon mini drill press with small bit.

To get started I just drew some simple patterns onto my pieces of scrap wood.
These will be the dog's and the cat's heads


Next I cut them out using the Proxxon mini bandsaw.


What I cut out under the dog's ear I will use for the cat's ear.
Waste not want not.  
I next cut out two pieces for their backs and four pieces for their feet.
Using the Proxxon mini bandsaw makes this so easy.   Have I said it before that I love this tool?


Sand all your pieces really well using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  This is going to kids and kids, (like everyone), hate splinters.  
Now I have all the pieces and I need to put them together.   Since these are for kids I want to make them a little bit stronger than just glue alone so we are going to use some toothpicks as tiny dowels to reinforce the bonds.

First thing to do is to line up the pieces where I want them to go and make some guide marks. 
Next using the Proxxon mini drill press and small drill bit (the size of the toothpick), I drill 1/2" deep into the center of the wood sides I want to join. 


 I glue the toothpicks into one side, then add glue to the board edge and tooth picks and put the sides together.  It's a good idea to clamp it together until the glue dries completely.


Do the same with the ears and feet.   This will hold things together securely

Now it is time to paint.   I recommend Plaid paints because of the many choices of such beautiful colors.   This is a good time to get the kids involved.  Let them paint their new little animal friends.



   Now add some "stuff" from the shop.  I used washers and screws for the eyes, a bolt for doggy's nose, a duck tape tongue, and wire for kitty whiskers.   You got to admit they are unique.

They sit well and can be used as bookends if you like.  

Well, wasn't that fun?    Make em funny or make em cute, it's up to you.  

Thanks for visiting.   
Thank you Proxxon,   I LOVE your tools!!!
Thank You Plaid paints, you are awesome too!!!

Hope to see you next time.  
Feel free to suggest a new project.     Carol

2 comments:

Nell said...

These are adorable and I'm sure any child would love them. Good use of leftover stuff in the shop.

Misty said...

Too Cute Carol,
I don't know how you manage to come up
with so many new ideas. Good work.