Thursday, September 19, 2019

Building A Gustavian Bench Using Proxxon Tools


   Hi everyone! I wanted to share my latest project with you. Years ago I saw an antique bench pictured in one of my magazines. It was called a Gustavian bench and it was attributed to a Swedish furniture maker. I tore out the page and saved it thinking one day I'd try building my own version. I don't have a pattern to share because I just made it up as I went. I wanted to prove to myself I could make it using my Proxxon Tools. I was able to cut out all the pieces with the Proxxon Micro Band Saw and Proxxon Table Saw except for one long board on the back. If I had another person to help hold the board as I ran it through the band saw I know I could have cut that one too. The legs and the curved pieces on the back were cut with the Proxxon Micro Band Saw. All the other boards were cut to length using the Proxxon Table Saw. The Delta Sander was used to round off edges. If you follow along with my pictures you'll see how it all came together.

Supplies:
 Proxxon Micro Band Saw
 Proxxon Table Saw FET
 Proxxon Delta Sander
 1" pine boards varying widths
 2 x 4 pine board
 Pocket hole jig and screws
 Brad nailer and brads
 Wood glue
 Wood putty

  1.  I drew my pattern out for the front legs. Traced them on a 2x4 and cut out with the Proxxon Micro Band Saw. 
  2.  Drew out my pattern on the apron and cut out using the Proxxon Micro Band Saw.
  3.  Screwed the legs to the apron using a pocket hole jig and screws.
  4.  Cut all support pieces and sides to length using the Proxxon Table Saw FET. Glued and screwed them together using the pocket hole jig.
  5. Cut the back legs using the Proxxon Micro Band Saw and cut the back support to length. Attached them with wood glue and pocket hole screws.
  6.  Cut the seat boards to length with the table saw. Attached them with glue and the brad nailer.
  7.  Started laying out the back boards and drawing out the scrolled pattern. Removed them and cut out the design with the Proxxon Micro Band Saw.
  8.  When all the boards were cut with my desired pattern I removed them. Laid them on the floor and glued and screwed them together using the pocket hole jig.
  9.  Spacers between arms were cut. They were attached with screws and glue.
  10.  I decided to cut out some extra decorative trim for the top back edge. This gave it more stability. The pieces were attached with glue and brads.  I filled in nail and screw holes with wood putty.  Sanded everything and rounded edges with the Proxxon Delta Sander.
  11.  Thanks to Proxxon tools I was able to complete this project in a week. I painted the bench and I sewed a cushion for it. Here's my finished bench! Thanks for following along with me … Colleen 

1 comment:

Carol Wulf said...

wow!! that is beautiful!! You should be so proud of that.