Sunday, November 3, 2019

How To Make a Latch Tool for Machine Knitting

After a hiatus of over twenty-five years, I've resurrected and refurbished my knitting machine.But, as I unpacked the equipment and tools from attic storage, I found I was missing one essential accessory—a latch tool. It is used for casting on, binding off, moving stitches, rescuing a dropped stitch. It is my go-to tool. I can't work without it. So, with my Proxxon tools I made my own.

Supplies and Equipment for Making the Latch Tool

Instructions for Making the Latch Tool

  1. With a hacksaw cut the shank end from the machine needle.
  2. I used a lace bobbin as the base for my latch tool handle, but a dowel rod would work.
  3. Cut the neck off the bobbin with the bandsaw.
  4. Sand on the disc sander.
  5. Measure and mark the center of the handle.
  6. Using the bench drill press, drill a hole for the needle.
  7. Use DAP Rapidfuse wood adhesive to glue the needle into the handle.
Now I'm ready to ski hats, scarves, and sweaters just in time for the coming winter season.

Carole

No comments: