Thursday, March 19, 2020

How To Build A Colonial Mirror Using Proxxon Tools


  Hi everyone! I've been wanting to redo my powder room to make it look more Colonial / primitive. Most of my next few projects will reflect things I'm making for this room. I'm starting with a mirror. I'm using the mirror I currently have hanging on the wall in there because its beveled. I just removed it from the frame.

Supplies:

Proxxon table saw
Proxxon mini band saw
Proxxon drill press
1x3' select pine
3/8' birch plywood
Screws and brad nails
Plaid paint  black
Plaid Inspirations wax  clear
Wood glue

Now to make the new frame. I used 1x3" select pine. I figured out the dimensions by measuring the old frame & cut my pieces to length using the Proxxon table saw. I cut a notch in each of the four pieces.  This is where the mirror will sit.

Now I cut a 45 degree angle using the table saw on each end of the boards so I can assemble my frame.

     I screwed and glued them together                                                                                                        .
I drew a pattern for a decorative bracket for the top and bottom of the frame and transferred the pattern to some 3/8' birch plywood scraps I had. I cut out both brackets with my Proxxon Micro   Bandsaw.
I tried my mirror in the frame to make sure it fit. I then attatched the brackets to the top and bottom with wood glue and brads.
I dropped the mirror and broke it!!! Had to go get a plain mirror cut. The new mirror wasn't fitting quite right so I chiseled out the groove a little using my new Proxxon Micromot Carver.   I drilled a hole in the top using the Proxxon drill press for hanging Now I'm ready to paint. I used Plaid paint in black. After dry I lightly sanded the edges to distress it and finally I applied a coat of Plaid Inspirations clear wax.
Thanks for following along with me.... Colleen :-)

1 comment:

Misty said...

Excellent work beautiful.