Friday, March 6, 2020

How to make a simple necklace holder

Hi everyone.  I have a quickie project for you today but I think you are going to like it.   I know you gals have a lot of jewelry, but if you are like me I bet you have 5-10 necklaces that are your go to ones.   I used to keep them in my jewelry box but, always, always, always, when I went to get one I pulled out a ball of tangled chains.   Well today we are going to make a simple necklace holder that will keep those frequently used necklaces in order. 

Let's get started:    First let's gather our Supplies.   
You will need:
Pencil and paper  (graph paper if you got it) 
1/8" thick piece of wood,  I chose birch plywood approx  8" x 14"
3/4" 1" thick piece of pine approx 5" x 5"
Plaid paints for decorating
Sealer of your choice.

Equipment:

Let's get going!

First thing I did was to make a pattern.   You probably already know this but just in case you don't... I have always found the easiest way to make a pattern symmetrical is to fold a piece of paper in half and draw half the pattern on it.   When you unfold it it will be exactly alike on both sides-(much easier than trying to draw it out).  for this project all we need is a simple arc like the one I show below




You can see I used graph paper, that made the next step easier.   I want to mark out notches where the necklaces will hang.   I spaced them evenly using the graph paper as a guide. then I traced my pattern onto my wood.

Now comes the part I like.   I used the Proxxon mini band saw to cut out the main part of the pattern.   You could  easily use the Proxxon mini scroll saw for this part if you prefer.   I just happen to really like the Proxxon mini band saw and how easily it cuts.

I used the Proxxon mini scroll saw to cut out my notches.  You could use Proxxon's mini band saw for this part if you want, especially since they now have the very narrow band saw blade which makes extremely tight curves and corners.   I just like mixing it up a little so I used Proxxon's  scroll saw. 😀


 I cut my 3/4" pine piece of wood to 5" x 5" using the Proxxon mini table saw. Then I removed the blade cover/splitter in preparation for the next step

 
I lowered the blade height to about 1/2" and tilted the blade to 20 degrees.   We are going to make a groove for the upper portion of the necklace holder to sit in.   We want it to tilt back slightly to so the necklaces will lay nicely on it.  Using the fence as a guide I ran the board through the blade once then adjusted the fence just a hair out and ran it through again.  I checked the fit and it was perfect. 

*** Be sure to replace the blade cover/splitter now so it will be ready to roll for the next project.   Really the only time I take it off is when I am making grooves. It is there to shield you from the blade, and to prevent kick back.***     Safety first-don't get hurt!!




It fits well and won't even need glue.

Of course I used the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander to smooth every part.  

Lastly, I blinged the base up with Plaid paints. They make so many colors and textures and glitters and.... you can go wild!  I simply used a clear sealer on the top wood part because it was pretty wood.    And now it is all done.   What do you think?


Easy, fun, and useful.   Thank you Proxxon and Plaid.
and
Thank you all for visiting.   Give it a try.   It is so much fun making stuff!!!
catch ya next time   Carol

3 comments:

Nell said...

Great project, Carol. You can keep all your favorite jewelry on this to keep it handy.

Anonymous said...

CAROL great idea did you make the jewelry the colors really pretty bj

Misty said...

Good Job Carol, a girl can always use another
holder for necklaces. Well maybe not everyone but
I have enough to fill several more lol.
Keep up the good work.