Friday, March 20, 2020

How to make a bird feeder using gourd pieces.



Oh Yay!! It's spring time at last! 🐦  Days are warming up and the birds are back.🐦  I think it is a good time to make a new bird feeder for the yard.   πŸ¦πŸ¦πŸ¦

Let's get started and gather our equipment
(1) large birdhouse gourd
1/2 or 1/4" welded wire
wire cutter/ pliers
short pieces of wire
Proxxon mini jigsaw
Proxxon OZI/E delta sander
leather or cord for hanging
eye hook
small awl
drill with 1/4" bit
(2) 1/4" dowels


Step 1-  Draw a line around the gourd at the level where you want to cut your top.    I used a tin can to support my pencil then turned the gourd to make my line.  This kept my line even all the way around.

Step 2-  I made a small hole below my line where I could insert my saw blade to begin my cut.   I used the Proxxon mini jigsaw to saw around the gourd. 




🠈This is what I found inside

Clean the inside of the gourd well.   This is going to be easy
on this one.   Sometimes the gourds are full of fluff.


Step 3-   repeat steps 1 and 2 to make the bottom of the gourd about 2-3" in height.

Sand everything well using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  Gourd edges are very sharp!











Step 4- Cut the welded wire sheet to approx 6" x 16" and roll it to make a
cylinder.  Fasten the ends with small pieces of wire so it will hold it shape.







Step 5-  Using the awl make a starter hole in the middle of the bottom part of the gourd and insert the eye screw.

Step 6-- drill a 1/4" hole (about 1/2" from the top of the bottom piece).  Directly opposite drill another hole.   this is where you will inset a dowel- through the first hole, then through the wire cylinder and out the other side.  This holds the wire up a little ways from the bottom to allow the seeds to empty into the bottom dish.  It also secures the wire cylinder to the bottom part of the gourd and serves as a perch for hungry birds.   Do this once again with the other dowel on the other side.



Step 7-  On the top part of the gourd- drill a hole in the middle.  On your cord add two beads that fit the cord tightly.  With some effort you should be able to scoot them along the cord.   Through the hole in the top you are going to thread the 2 open ends of your cord down through the hole then tie them in a knot.  Next catch the loop onto the eye hook on the bottom part.  Push the top down onto the cylinder while holding your cord to secure the birdfeeder as one unit. Slide the beads down to maintain union.      To fill with seeds slide the beads away from the opening then simply pull the top up, fill with seeds and push it back down and slide the beads tight to the top


I think we are all done.    Time to hang it on a tree and wait for the birds to come.   And they will!!

I want to thank you all for visiting.   And I thank Proxxon for making such cool tools!

Have a great spring!    See ya next time    Carol

3 comments:

Nell said...

wow, this is really a cute bird feeder. I'm sure they will be flocking to it to get those seeds. Great job !

Misty said...

I had wanted this, but knew
you made it for Dentist.
Oh well, better luck next time.
I loved the idea it was not
painted, it fit right in to
the lovely wooded area outside
of the treatment rooms. They have
such nice large windows.
Well done. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

this is so country love it no painting makes it feel like and blends into the country look bj