Thursday, May 19, 2022

Homemade dice

Hello again.   If you got a little time, I have a fun little project today.   Let's make some dice.  I thought most games require 2 dice, some require 4, but I play a game with friends that need 6 dice so that is what we will make today.  Yes, I know dice are cheap enough, but the satisfaction that comes with making something out of nothing is always fun.




This doesn't take a lot of resources.  All you need is a short piece of wood that can be cut down to 3/4" by 3/4" size.  I chose a piece of pine because it is relatively soft and that will be helpful later on.  Other equipment and supplies. 

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander
Paint
wood treatment.

To get started we need to cut our wood down to size.  I did this by cutting a strip 3/4" wide and high.  Using the fence on the Proxxon mini table saw makes this easy.   ++by all means use a push stick and keep your fingers away from the blade. 


  Now we have 6 little cubes

off to the Proxxon micro press to make our marks in dice making
I chose a round punch to make the dots on the dice.   This does a good job of making them all the same.

Remember when you are planning your dice that opposite sides of the cube will equal 7.   In other words the 6 is opposite the 1, and the 4 is opposite the 3.

Once the dots are all imprinted it is time to paint the dots.  You don't have to worry too much if the painting isn't perfect.   We will take care of that in the next step


Using just a couple of Proxxon's sanding tools, the OZI/E delta sander and the Proxxon cordless mini belt sander it is easy to erase all the wayward paint


Knowing that I used a soft pine, I chose to use a pre-stain on my dice prior to the final finish.   And they are ready to play.  I like how they are quieter on a table top

Thanks for visiting .Hope you come back next time and we will make something interesting.
Thanks Proxxon.   Carol


No comments: