Thursday, May 5, 2022

How to make a little bird feeder

Welcome back.  Yesssss I am talking to you, and the flowers and the warm sunshine and the little birds.  I am so happy to be defrosted and ready for spring.  I noted the birds have come back, and to look at my birdfeeders they are hungry.  Little birds were getting rude treatment at my big feeders so I decided to make a little one that would be just for them. See below the instructions on how to build this cute little bird feeder using Proxxon tools.


Equipment and supplies

Proxxon mini table saw

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander

Pine boards 1/2" to 3/8" thick

2 small pieces of 1/8" plexiglass

wood glue

small screws

16" of rope or strong twine.   

6 x 1" wood slat

See the cutting pattern below I used the Proxxon mini table saw to cut my pieces.

The first thing I did was to build the fence that I am going to put around the bottom of this feeder.  This will help keep all the seeds from spilling out.

I have my two longer pieces and 2 of the shorter ones.  The long pieces will go on the long side of the bottom with slight overhang on each side. The shorter pieces will go inside of the longer pieces on the short sides of the bottom.  Confused yet?  👀  see picture below


Now I have glued it in place.  I add a few nails along the bottom of the fence just to be sure.  And I sand my edges smooth using my Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.   I love this sander!


Next I need to make a slot in the wooden sides so that the plexiglass front and back can slide in.

I need to remove the blade cover and splitter for the next step and set my blade height to about 1/4"  I want to cut only about half way through the wood, making a slot.




I set the fence about 1/2" from the saw blade and run both long sides of each of the side pieces over the blade.  It is not quite wide enough to insert the plexiglas yet so I move it just the tiniest bit either way and run those boards through it again.  Now I have a slot that will accommodate the plexiglass pieces.



Glue the bottom supports to the bottom of the sides. 
Then, glue the sides to the short side of the base then secure it with a couple of screws.  The plexiglas should slide in easily.  Note at the bottom the support acts as a stop so there is space for the seeds to fall through.   I've taken the protective plastic off the glass now.  Look how clear. 


 
A couple of screws or i-hooks on the side to tie the piece of rope to, then up through the top holes and  you are finished.  Now we can fill it with seed and hang it outside.  


This works good for the little birds because the big birds have a hard time holding on and eating from the narrow trough.  It is easy to fill because the lid lifts up.  

Poor angry bird too big for the new feeder.



This is a fast and easy project.  Proxxon tools are just the ticket.   Give it a try.
Thanks for visiting.   Love my Proxxon tools.
till next time....   Carol










No comments: