Wednesday, October 18, 2023

How to Recycle an Old Frame into the Perfect New One

I needed a specifically sized frame to display one of my bobbin lace pieces. Yes, in addition to creating with my Proxxon tools, I make bobbin lace. With no read-made frame available, I decided to make my own using Proxxon MICROMOT tools and an old frame that I found at a local thrift shop.


These are the supplies and equipment that I used:

Here's how I transformed an old frame into a perfect new one:

  1. Here's the thrifted frame with dimensions of about 20" x 16". I needed the picture area for my new frame to be 15" x 4".

  2. The first thing I did was to tear away the backing and remove the old mat and picture. When the backing was removed, I could see that the frame was held together with corner staples—ones that there was no way I could remove.

  3. I used the bandsaw with the miter gauge set to 45° to cut away the stapled section at each corner. I was left with ­four lengths of picture framing.

  4. Next, I used the chop and miter saw to cut each side using the 45° pre-set stops and the longitudinal fence stop to insure accurate lengths.

  5. Now I was ready to glue and clamp the sides together forming my new frame.

  6. I used a glass cutter to cut the glass from the thrifted frame to fit the new frame.

I'm thrilled with my new frame. It cost a small fraction of what a purchased custom frame would have, and I have the satisfaction of knowing I made it myself!!


    Carole

    No comments: