Sunday, October 15, 2023

Building A frame For A Trade Sign



Hi everyone!  This is part 3 of building my trade sign.  This is the final step aside from painting it, which will come at a later time.  Follow along with me and I'll show you how I built the frame. 


Supplies:
  Clamps
  Wood Glue
  Brad Nailer and Brads
  Pine Trim Molding


First, I needed to cut, glue and clamp the trim across the curved top of the sign.  Using the 6table saw I cut a length of trim with excess on both sides. Knowing that this piece had to be flexible, I needed to soak it in water.  I wish I had taken a photo, but I forgot.  I soaked it in our pool for two hours. Removed it and bent it across the top curve.  Using clamps, I held it in place till it dried.






Once it was dry, I removed it. I cut it to size with a tiny bit extra. I then glued it and re-clamped it.  Next came the sides. I held a piece of trim up to figure the angle I needed to cut it. I wanted that piece to slide up under the top trim.  I marked it and cut the angle with the band saw. Checked for length and trimmed using the table saw.  I applied glue and attached the side. I repeated for the other side.







I measured and cut the bottom trim. When all the pieces were glued, I used the brad nailer and brads to secure everything.




Lastly, I used the Belt Sander to sand off each corner for a perfect fit.




My project is complete, except for painting.  That's coming at a later date. I'll be sure to post a picture when its painted!  Thanks for following along  :-)
Colleen


































 

No comments: