Sunday, March 17, 2024

Creating Tiny Porch Posts Using Proxxon Tools

 



Hi everyone! Today I wanted to show you how I turned tiny porch posts on the Micro Woodturning Lathe. I'm still building one of my tiny houses and I thought this would be a nice addition instead of just a plain wooden dowel. Let me show you how I made them.

Supplies:

   Proxxon Micro Woodturning Lathe DB 250
   Proxxon Scroll Saw
   Proxxon Five Piece HSS Chisel Set
   Wooden Dowel
   Sand Paper


First, I determined the length of the posts and cut two pieces using the Proxxon scroll saw.  I added on an extra inch because I can't tell exactly how long they need to be until I put the base on the house. That won't be till I'm further along.  




The next thing was I needed to determine the center of each end of the dowels and mark them. My lathe came with a small tool you use to mark the centers.





Once I had the centers marked, I attached the dowl to the lathe and tightened it on. With a pencil I marked 2 lines where I wanted the turning or carving away the wood to be.




Using the chisel set, I chose the parting tool.  This chisel is flat but cut at an angle. Resting on the tool rest, I started to carve in the details.






I also used a piece of sandpaper against the wood to taper the dowel.  Then finishing up again with my parting tool.





I took the dowel off the lathe and attached the second dowel. I marked it again with a pencil so I could try and copy the first dowel.  I repeated the whole process.


 

Now I've got two porch posts that are finished and ready to be attached. I still have some work on the porch before I attach the base, so the posts will go on after that. Once I can tell exactly how long each post needs to be, I may turn a small detail at the bottom also.



Thanks for following along.  Till next time...
Colleen  :-)



































No comments: