Sunday, March 3, 2024

Easy to make bookends

 Hi everyone.  Hope this finds everyone well, and anxious and motivated for a new project. 

I just want to tell you that since it warmed up a little, I have been enjoying my workshop.  But, I didn't know what to make, I had dug out an old board that I knew would work for whatever project I decided on.  Flipping through an artists' journal gave me an idea, so now I will get busy and show you what I made so you can go out and make yourself 1 or 2. This would be great in a toddler's room to hold his colorful books.


I used just one board.  1 x 7 x 48  



First, I transferred my pattern onto my board Then, using my Proxxon mini bandsaw I cut  out all the pieces.  Note if you use the extra narrow band saw blade you can cut out these pieces very easily as it will take tight curves with ease.

After sanding real well, I used some carpenter's glue to glue the basic braces together.  Note:  The longer one is glued to the shorter one so that the sides and the base are of equal length.   When the glue dries I add some nails for added support.  I used the Proxxon cordless rotary tool to pre-drill my holes to avoid cracking the wood.  



Then I sand all the pieces well and proceed to painting. 


]\

Let that get good and dry then glue it up like a rainbow to the base and side pieces.  Drill and add the nails or screws for added support and you're done.  The bookends are heavy enough, so they don't slide.  

It was easy, wasn't it.  Put it anywhere you need a splash of color or to hold those oversized books neatly.

Thanks for visiting!  Check out Proxxon tools next time you get a chance.  Small precision tools are so easy to use.

No comments: