Sunday, March 10, 2024

How To Cut Window Openings Using The Proxxon Scroll Saw

 



Hi Everyone!  As you may have already figured out from a few of my past pots, I have been building and selling tiny houses.  If I didn't have my Proxxon Tools, I don't think I'd be able to accomplish the things I'm now building.  I design all my own patterns. I thought maybe some people would be interested in seeing how i cut the window openings using the scroll saw.  Follow along with me and ill show you how I do it   :-)


Supplies:
   
   Proxxon 2 Speed Scroll Saw DS 460
   Proxxon Cordless Belt Sander
   1/2" wood  ( any thickness will work depending on your particular project)
   Drill and 1/4" drill bit


Using my own pattern, I draw the design on whatever thickness wood I'm using.  For this house I happened to be using 1/2" MDF.





Now that i have my pattern drawn, I cut it out using the Proxxon scroll saw.




Next, I determine where i want my windows placed.  I draw the shape of the windows on the wood.  In order to cut out the windows, you must drill a hole in the center of the window shape.  I always use a 1/4" drill bit in my drill.  Now I move the piece to the scroll saw and remove the blade. Drop the blade down through the hole and reattach the blade to the saw.




Now your blade is connected and ready to cut.



I've kind of got a system of how i cut to get perfect corners.  Get the blade over to one of the edges and saw to the corner.  then back up a tiny bit aur curve the blade to the next corner. Once you get all the way around the center blank mill be able to pop out. I just lift the piece up and it falls out.  Next, I turn the piece the opposite way and cut down to the other corner.  This does take quite a while to cut each window, but it works well.



Occasionally I may have to sand on the inside edge if there's any roughness, but my Proxxon Cordless Belt Sander cleans that right up.




This method will work when cutting out any shape in the middle of a piece of wood.  Thanks for following along with my little lesson.  Till next time...
                                                                      

                                                            Colleen  :-)














    

No comments: