Saturday, July 6, 2024

How to make a plexiglas business card holder

 Hi everyone.  Hope you all had a good 4th of July.  It was hot here but still had a good time with friends  We had an indoor picnic so to speak.  Anyway, I chose a simple little project so as not to spend a whole lot of time out in my un-airconditioned workshop.  The challenge today was to find the right tools for the job.  I really dont have a lot of experience with plexiglas so I learned some tricks I want to share with you.  

What we want to make is essentially a little box.  The trick is cutting plexiglas without chipping or cracking it, then finding the right glue. 

 Ok. lets get started.  I made a pattern for myself that I felt would hold the cards in a nice way.  I drew my cut lines on masking tape.  I was off to the Proxxon mini table saw to do my cutting.  It went well for a little while but then I started chipping and cracking the little pieces.


Make sure you wear safety glasses as bits of hot plexiglas are flying.



Here is the first trick.  I took a slim slab of wood and taped the plexiglas securely to it.  I drew the pattern onto the wood and cut the pieces with the wood side up.  I got a very smooth cut and there was none of the flying plexiglas pieces. 


 





When I got all the pieces cut I began the gluing process.  The trick here is to leave the protective plastic on over the plexiglass to keep the glue off the glass.  Peel the edges away and lay a line of glue.  I use glue that is made for model making.  
Go slow, one side at a time.  It doesnt take long for the glue to hold. When the box is made, peel away the protective plastic and you got a nice little box.   Oh, I used the proxxon mini scroll saw for the finger cut-out on the front side.   Any extra plexiglas (overlap), can be removed with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  But be careful not to scratch the plastic sides.    


.



sorry for the poor picture.  The project acttually looks good 


Hope you all enjoyed the little project.   Catch ya next time.  Carol


No comments: