Sunday, December 20, 2015

Retro Birds Gift Tags

I've been making lots of Christmas decorations and gifts with my Proxxon scroll saw!! These sweet retro birds are easy to do, and can be used in several ways. I'm using them as gift tags. Of course, they would be great as ornaments, too. Or, how about a whole flock grouped together as a mobile?

I designed the pattern in Make-the-Cut, and used the print and cut feature to print the pattern. When I mount the pattern to the wood, I start by covering the surface of the wood with painter's tape. Next, I spray the back of the pattern with spray adhesive, and put that on top of the painter's tape. The spray adhesive holds the pattern in place, and the painter's tape makes removing it a breeze. Here is the pattern mounted on my piece of wood. 

Then, right to my Proxxon scroll saw to cut out the birds.

Next step is a light sanding with the Delta sander.

Back to Make-the-Cut and my Zing electronic cutter to cut out the papers for each side of the birds.

I drilled a hole in each bird for attaching a cord for hanging, then used burnt umber acrylic paint on the edges of the wood blanks. When the paint was dry, I glued the papers to the birds and added a twine hanger. They're already to fly away to a new owner attached to a Christmas gift.

Here's the pattern for the retro birds:

Carole

2 comments:

IndigoEarth said...

Such a cute idea!!

Cindy said...

Great project Carole! I love birds and these are sweet.