Friday, October 27, 2017

A little flamingo to remember Florida by

I just got back, along with my husband and sister from a week long stay in Fort Walton Beach, FL and I have to say that it was fantastic. We stopped going and coming at my brother's house in Huntsville, AL. What a wonderful trip and wonderful time with my sister. I couldn't tell you just how much I appreciate this sister's friendship, but I digress. She does collect Flamingos though and when I was thinking of this project I thought of that and thought I would make a Flamingo to give her to remember the trip by.

Supplies needed for this project:

Proxxon Scroll Saw
Proxxon Belt Sander
Proxxon Drill & Drill Bit
Dowel Rod
Wooden Base
Left over pieces of wood
Acrylic Paints
Sea Shells
Glue
Paint Brushes
Pattern

I started out on this project by drawing a flamingo body and wing.

I then cut the pattern out of cardstock and used that as my template and traced the pattern out onto my wood pieces.
I cut out two wings.
And one body.
Once the pieces were cut out, I sanded all the edges and rounded them a bit to make them look almost hand carved. I also sanded the base because even though it was purchased it still had some rough edges. I love to use the belt sander because it's just much easier to me than using a large belt sander.
I then drilled two holes in the base of the project.
I also drilled two holes in the bottom of my flamingo to line up with the ones in the base. I also clipped off the dowel rods to be the right height.
Once that was complete I assembled the pieces of wood with glue and this is what the bare wood assembled looked like.
I then painted my flamingo, legs and base and glued sea shells around the bottom.
Both sides were painted and shells glued all round. I'm really hoping that my sister will like it and that every time she looks at it she remembers our trip.

Barbara





4 comments:

Misty said...

So cute and I know what a good time you and your sister had so I am sure she will love it. Nice work Barbara.

Proxxon Tools said...

really cute

Unknown said...

You bet I love it! Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Really enjoyed reading this blog all the artists are amazing great job‼️