Friday, October 13, 2017

Another Reused, Repurposed, project to make a Chalkboard

Hi guys! Today I want to show you what I created by using a cabinet door, and my Proxxon Delta Sander and Proxxon Drill.

Items needed for this project: 

1 wooden cabinet door
Proxxon Delta Sander
Proxxon Drill
White Gesso
Chalkboard Paint
Indian Red Acrylic paint

Paint brushes
Plaid Mod Podge
Napkins with pattern of choice
2 heavy duty screw eyelets
hanger of choice (string, ribbon, rope etc)


I know, where did I come up with a new cabinet door? Well some years back, I purchased a box of cabinet door samples that I just hadn't used for anything until recently. This one was really great for this project. You can find all sorts of things in thrift shops, at yard sales, flea markets, you get the idea.
I used my Proxxon Delta Sander to smooth out any rough spots that might keep the chalkboard paint from being smooth to write on.
I then painted the inside of the door with the chalkboard paint. I painted on four coats to make sure that it wouldn't wear off very soon. I also painted the outside edge of the door with white gesso, two coats.
Once that was done I drilled two holes in the top of the cabinet door and screwed in the two eyelets. I also painted the outside edge of the door with Indian Red Acrylic paint.
After the gesso and chalkboard paint was completely dry, I used the Plaid Mod Podge to adhere the napkins to the outside of the chalkboard and I also put a coat of the Plaid Mod Podge over the top of the napkins to give it a sealed surface. I tied yellow ribbon through the eyelets and here's the finished product, a really awesome chalkboard.
Do you remember the towel holder that I made out of the rolling pin? Well lookie here they both match each other and can both be hung in the kitchen/dining area. I really like it that I made two pieces which go together, what do you think about it? Please leave me a comment below and please check out the tools that Proxxon has to offer at: www.proxxon.com.

Barbara



5 comments:

vicki said...

Very creative!

Deb said...

Too Cute! GREAT idea for left over cabinet door!

Carol Wulf said...

Nice work. In the kitchen. Looks like a menu board, what's for dinner tonight. or... grocery list. Very pretty. I got a wooden toilet seat cover. Hmm :)

Misty said...

Barbara I love that idea. It looks great hanging and everyone needs one. Especially if children or husband and you have to leave a message. Very functional.
Some really great ideas coming from these projects.
Very nice work.

Unknown said...

I love all the colors! Oh the possible uses for that beautiful piece of art!! ❤