Friday, October 20, 2017

How  To make A Welcome To Our Home Plaque 

Finished Plaque.



How I start this plaque is to develop a design. Since it is fall I decided to go with that theme, besides, I love the colors.  Proxxon Scroll Saw is going to make this a snap.

I draw a shape I want for the plaque and leaves, then I play with it till I am happy with the layout. 


.  





Now I am ready to get the wood for the job.  I know we has a surplus of laminated flooring and decided to use some of that. This makes the project very inexpensive.


Plaque cut out. Lovely Color no paint needed. 

The Proxxon Scroll Saw makes short work of this with ease.

This Proxxon Delta mini sander is a favorite tool . While your sanding don't forget that you need to smooth the sides of the leaves. This tool makes getting into the curves and narrow areas no problem.

Now begins the painting. After the first two coats of white as a base I used Plaid Pickling paint # 5828 a soft yellow.  I picked the areas of the leaf that I wanted yellow leaving some areas white.




The dark area are the wood showing through.
Plaid Pickling paint is a soft wash of color.
Now I am going to use a glaze between each layer of paint as I add each fall color. I am going to add Martha Stewart Soft Gel Blood Orange. 
This is also a excellent paint. 


 Looking for somewhat softer colors  I mix some yellow and white. I still want it softer so i added a tad of yellow and then more white, using glaze between each color.
Don't forget when you paint the sides of the leaf to use the same color that is on top. Will be different colors as is the top.
Now I am going to add a Plaid pickling wash of driftwood # 5824.
More glaze raw umber and glaze and a little olive green. 
Make sure each layer dries a little before adding glaze.

Ok, I am satisfied with the colors but still need to put veins in and want to make sure I don't mess up my colors . To prevent this I spray the leaves with a matte spray.  Now if I goof up I can wash it off without harming the layers of color. 

I am going to glue the leaves to my plaque with E6000.  After I place them I am going to add weights to make sure of a tight bond.




Placed leaves plaque or smooth surface


This is a small leg weight



After 12 hours I know I have a secure bod.


Now I need some lettering 





Now I needed lettering. I went to my word program

and found the font I liked which was Script.  So made a pattern and transferred it to my wood.

Next step is to paint the font. I want to use color that adds
continuity to the plaque so after choosing a base coat of a light orange I selected a Folk art #2902 Pueblo.



When I am finished with the lettering I can move on to the spraying of the Krylon crystal clear to seal the paint and help preserve the plaque.



 Now to add the saw tooth hanger .

This completes the project, "How to make a welcome to Our Home Plaque".




I want to thank each of my visitors and invite them to look around my sponsor proxxon tiny tools   

 Plaid Paints also supports us with paints. If you have not looked at their paints lately, do so now. A lot of new and timely items have been added.  

I also would like to thank each of these companies for allowing me to have the pleasure of using their products.





















13 comments:

Unknown said...

What a clever way to make a sign,I just love it and thanks for sharing..

Unknown said...

Love this Misty. love the colors you used on the leaves too. Great job sanding those corners is a witch by hand. Thanks for the tutorial.

Barbara Moore said...

Very nice plaque Misty! I love Fall colors too and love to use them whenever possible. Great tutorial too.

Carol Wulf said...

This is really a pretty plaque. The laminate wood grain is pretty and your leaf painting is beautiful. Nice work.

Unknown said...

Love this Misty

Unknown said...

Love the fall leaves! The sander made quick work of smoothing the wood before painting them.

Misty said...

Thank all for the kind comments and visits. I know your time is full and I really do thank you for stopping by. Hugs and Love


Dorothy said...

I like your sign. Anyone would love to have one. Your directions are easy to understand. Keep up the good work.

Terry B said...

This is a great plaque. Instructions were so easy to follow. Now have to find time to make my own. Thanks for a great project.

Nell said...

Love the sign ! The leaves add such a nice touch.

Betty said...

I really like this sign Think I will make one you make it sound so easy

Frank said...

It's a beautiful sign... and seems very easy to make. It would look great on any door or wall.

Insane Artist said...

Another project well done, informative, and beautiful. Keep up the good work on these fun projects.