Thursday, October 26, 2017

How to make an autumn Holiday Barrel

How to make an Autumn Holiday Barrel

Today I'm going to show you how you can make a holiday barrel using proxxon tools.   As the weather cools I start thinking about the holidays, how bout you?   Christmas is coming quick, but first let's enjoy our fall holidays.   I'm thinking, Halloween and Thanksgiving... 
In my workshop, there is a old, small barrel that I have been tripping over for years.  Finally it's time to turn that into something festive.

Supplies and Equipment needed:

1 barrel, size optional
thin piece of wood to make top.  (my barrel was topless)
Proxxon rotary tool with cutting and grinding tips
Basic light fixture and lightbulb
electrical tape
Drill and drill bits

I started this by drawing some designs on my barrel.   I figured some pumpkins and give thanks would be good for Thanksgiving and a haunted house and bats for Halloween. 


 Ok, time to get out the paints and do a little painting.  I used plaid paints because they have such vivid colors.  For this project I watered them down a bit as I wanted them more like a wash.





Oak is a really tough wood and gets tougher with age.   I used multiple tools to cut and drill my holes.
A cool tool is the cutting head on the proxxon delta sander.

Cutting windows with the proxxon delta sander with cutting head attachment

I used that and  the proxxon rotary tool with various bits to cut and grind out some of the window holes.  I used a regular drill bit to outline the house and pumpkins with small holes.















  Now, lets cut out the top.  I traced around the perimeter of the barrel top then drew a circle 1/2" inside of that line. Using the proxxon scroll saw I easily cut the circle.  There is a groove in the barrel where the lid will sit.   I also drilled a 5/8" hole in the center where the light cord suspending the light  will go through.   (the size of this hole will be dependent on the light fixture being used.



proxxon scroll saw
the groove inside the barrel where the lid will sit.


I cut the light cord so that I can thread it through the top of the lid.  Then I spliced it back together  taking care to keep the polarization correct.


Pop the lid on with the light hanging inside, plug her in and light up the night!




This has been fun.   It really looks good on the porch on a dark night.
Happy holidays ya'all.






8 comments:

Betty said...

Carol I really like this idea You have done a great job again Cant wait for your next idea

Misty said...

I love this Carol not only the barrel but the cracks that make the star shape lights around the barrel. I know that oak gave you a fit. Nothing much harder that old dry oak. Great work. Keep it up!

Cindy said...

What a fantastic project! I would love to have one just like it to put on my front porch. One side for Halloween and one side for Thanksgiving. I also like the tutorial! Great job!

Proxxon Tools said...

wow, wow, wow

rhonda cheryl walker said...

oh wow carol I love this totally cool , thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Misty this is a great blog. Love your projects. I also like seeing the different tools you use.. I did have a hard time figuring out how to add my comment. Do you think you could show how to do those thunder drums sometime LOL

Anonymous said...

Hurry up with the next one. Betty

Insane Artist said...

Great ideal, I love it.