Saturday, January 13, 2018

A Niche made with Love

The word that I've chosen for the year is Love. In this year why don't we share some love and kindness with someone who might need a little encouragement, an outstretched hand, a lift up or something material to help them to survive in this world?  The Niche that I've created will remind me to do that each day this year. 

The Materials Needed for this Project are:

Assorted pieces of wood
Wooden Balls (for the feet)
Small nails (I used a nail gun)
Assorted Papers
Gesso
Assorted Embellishments
Balsa Foam
X-Acto Knife
Paint Brushes
Glues
Hinges and a Latch


I started the project by drawing out my pattern. I cut two of the arched pieces and one backing piece. I also cut a small piece to use as the base.
I've been trying to use wood that I have on hand and not purchase more until I've used up what I have.
I cut out the door using a thinner piece of wood than the arch so that I could leave as much room as possible inside the niche to place my embellishments.

I used the Proxxon Table Saw FET to cut all the straight lines and the Proxxon Scroll Saw to cut the arched pieces.


Once I had my wood pieces cut out, I drew a heart unto the balsa foam and cut it out in a rough style with an X-acto knife.
I then took the two pieces of arched wood and using wood glue, I glued and clamped them together.
Taking care to wipe off any glue that had squeezed out when I clamped the two pieces together. lol By cutting out the two pieces it made my niche deeper. I let the clamped pieces set overnight to dry and then used my Proxxon Belt Sander to even out any pieces that might have been uneven.
That Proxxon Belt Sander is as handy as a pocket on a shirt! Talk about sanding both pieces level with each other! It is just an awesome tool, as are the table saw and scroll saw. I had a friend stop by the other day who just drooled over my Proxxon Table Saw FET. I attached the back of my piece to the arched piece with some very small nails and a nail gun.
Here is the pieces of wood put together and sanded. I used black gesso to cover the heart for a base coat.

Once all these pieces were ready, I used Plaid Mod Podge to adhere all the papers ( I used wallpaper, scrapbook paper and napkins ) and lace to the niche. I then added the saying, heart and embellishment to the inside of the niche. I used Plaid Color Shift Paint to paint the pieces not covered by papers. I then put on the latch and hinges with the screws that came with and glued the wood balls unto the bottom for feet. These were also painted with Plaid Color Shift Paint.


I was so happy with the way everything turned out. Yes, you probably could have made this with some lighter materials ( stryofoam perhaps ) but it certainly wouldn't have been as sturdy as this niche is. I want to say that I appreciate the Proxxon Company for providing us with all the tools that we get to use and also Plaid for providing all the new paints that we've had the pleasure of using in our projects. You need to check out the tools from www.proxxon.com and also the paints and other things from Plaid

Barbara


5 comments:

Misty said...

I really like it a lot Barbara. It is so sweet and
pretty looking would be happy to put it anywhere
in our house. Great work.

Unknown said...

That turned out awesome! Good work!

vicki said...

Very nice!!

Carol Wulf said...

Nice work, and how original. Love it. I bet you had fun making it.

Steph Ackerman said...

Very pretty!