Friday, January 26, 2018

How to make a Butterfly House

How to Make a Butterfly House



Finished Project








After a few weeks of below zero temperatures, my thoughts have turned to spring. A season when the air comes to life. The birds, bees and butterflies  fill the air space and the flowers add their sweet fragrance to the mix. I decided to make a home for the butterflies and thus my project is born.

Tools.
Proxxon Mini Jig Saw
Proxxon Mini Delta Sander
Proxxon Scroll Saw
Rotary Tool


Supplies
Small Gourd
Piece of wood to fit the back of the gourd
Wood Glue
Rubber Bands
Piece of pipe or wooden dowel
Leather Strap
Two beads
Apoxy Putty
Plaid Folk Art Paints

First step was to take the gourd and draw a dividing line down the middle of the gourd length wise.



Next I used the Proxxon Mini Jig Saw to cut the gourd along the dividing line.


After cutting the gourd it has to have the insides cleaned out


Above I am smoothing the edges of the gourd with the Proxxon Delta mini
sander.  this sander is awesome, it can get to the insides and all the nooks and curves a gourd or some small projects have. It is one of my favorites. 
Then I chose the side I wanted to use, then painted a coat of Gesso to the outside of the gourd. Then drew the size outline of the gourd onto the piece of wood for the back.




Using the Proxxon Scroll Saw I cut out the piece of wood for the back of the butterfly house.


Applying Gorilla Glue to the edges of the wood getting ready to put the gourd and wood together. 


Using rubber bands to secure back to front


 Secured areas of the wood and gourd to ensure they stayed in place while drying.




I had to add Apoxy putty along the edges in areas that did not meet perfectly 
When working with gourds and their shapes you will find you need to make adjustments to make a area that is being difficult work.


I added a stencil of a butterfly with folded wings next to the holes for the insects to enter.  I do not stencil. This is the second time in my life and I did not have the brush or dabber needed so improvised with a stiff paint brush.


Since I did not love the way the stencil came out I decided to work around it with a brush adding black color.


This is a little better I think and proceed to freehand a simple vine with flowers for the butterflies .

With Plaid Folk Art Paints this was such a neat way to complete this project.  I got to play.The base coat for the Gourd was with plaid outdoor acrylic paint  (6245 Red Hot. The leaves were painted with a combination of three greens. (458 Sap Green)(2914E Lime Green)  (5129 Green Flash) a color Shift Paint  and (4004 Butier Magenta) Enamel paint.
Last but not least (5816 Gypsy Rose) a Pickling Wash.
Love the pickling washes, you can get such a lot of different values when using them where nothing else seems to quite cut it.
Now to add the hanger and call this project complete. I may add a little nectar spray to the inside before I put it our when the weather warms and sweet spring has arrived. 


My sincere thanks to all of the people who help make this blog possible.
Proxxon Mini Tools, Plaid Paints, and Terri Sproul the bloggers helper and leader. 
Then to all of the wonderful friends who support these blogs by visiting and commenting weekly.
Thank you so very much you are great friends. I love you all.















10 comments:

Carol Wulf said...

What a neat little project. I can't wait to see what the butterflies do with it. I think you should make another one out of the other half and give to me. It is really nice. Good work!!

Unknown said...

This is so pretty Misty. You amaze me with these projects. Just love em.

charlotte fletcher@roma land woodcrafts said...

I think many of us are wanting Spring, after this cold year! Cute project...

Cindy said...

I too yearn for Spring to arrive Misty. I don't do very well in the Winter time. I love butterfly houses and of course butterflies. This is a nice project and will be well used I'm sure once you put it out in the garden.

Terry B said...

I would have these allover the yard. I just love this butterfly house. Your instructions are very clear.

Great work

Insane Artist said...

Come on spring. This is a clever idea, and a beautiful addition to the yard or garden. Love it.

Unknown said...

What an amazing piece I simply adore this....

Misty said...

Thank all for the kind words and your time to visit.
Hugs and Love.

Anonymous said...

great idea like the idea of helping our the butterflies bj

Nell said...

Great project, Misty. I'm sure the butterflies will love it. You did a great job painting and decorating it too.