Friday, January 26, 2018

How to Make a Crate Gift Box

This is a relatively simple project that can be adjusted in size, color, embellishment etc. I thought this was something that many people would want to make and use.

The supplies needed for this project:

Proxxon Table Saw FET
Proxxon Delta Sander
Paint Stir Sticks cut down to 8" pieces
Scrap wood panel 8" X 8" for base
1"X 1" wood piece cut into 4 pieces for corner supports
Nail gun
1" 18 ga. brad nails
Acrylic Paint
Paint Brush
Embellishments or not, your choice

To begin with I cut all the pieces that I would need for the project. It made it much simpler to put together. I cut eight paint stir sticks down to 8" pieces, a piece of scrap wood into an 8" square and a 1"X 1" piece of wood into 4 pieces for the corner supports by using my Proxxon Table Saw FET.

Once all of the pieces were cut out, I used my Nail gun to put all of the pieces together.
I then used the Proxxon Delta Sander to smooth out any rough spots on the pieces that I had nailed together. I want to mention that you can use regular wood for the sides but the paint stir sticks are free and for a simple lightweight crate that's what I chose to use.
Once everything was sanded and cleaned off, I used  Red Acrylic Paint to cover the entire crate. I then took some pre-cut wooden hearts that I had, painted them white and added a fine glitter to them. I then glued them to the crate.
        
Now this will make a great container for a Valentine's Day Gift. There is one thing I would recommend though and that is to gesso the paint stir sticks on the printed side because it took several coats of the Red Acrylic Paint to cover up the print. You can adjust the size of your crate by simply making everything smaller or larger (but if you go larger you will have to get the larger paint sticks if you can) or use wood that you have. You can also make the crate with more sides as in 3-4 paint sticks high. I plan on putting some red shredded paper in this crate and then adding whatever gift I get into it. Need something special to put that Valentine's Day gift in? Well this is it and you can find the perfect tool to build this with at www.proxxon.com. Maybe you would like a Proxxon Tool for Valentine's?

Barbara

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty cool! Would make a great teacher gift!

Misty said...

What a good idea Marsha.
Barbara this is a nifty
box to put homemade small jars of jams in,
say some cherry and strawberry.
Great with a small package of
bagels or muffins.
I bet there are a bunch of ideas for
this project.
Good Job, as always.