Friday, April 27, 2018

How to make a peek-a-boo birdhouse.




PEEK-A-BOO
Remember ant farms?  I remember watching the ants do their thing in their little plastic box.  Well that was a long time ago, I mean a really long time ago....   By the way do they still make those things?    Anyway, today I want to show you how to make a peek-a-boo bird house so you can watch some birds doing their thing. By that, I mean watch them make a nest, lay some eggs (if you are lucky), and hatch and raise some little birdies.


Supplies
1/4" plywood (front)
1/4" poplar sheet (sides)
1/8" Plexiglas sheet (back)
pack of wood shims (roof)
1/4" wood dowel
wood glue
suction cups 

Equipment
drill and drill bits
7/8" spade bit
clamps or rubber bands


I made a simple pattern to make my birdhouse.   I decided on a home for wrens because we have a lot of them around here, and they like a smaller home.  I didn't want anything too heavy to hang on the window.    This is my basic pattern, feel free to use it. The dimensions on the drawing are accurate but this drawing is just to show the basic shapes.

The first thing I did was to draw my pattern onto my surfaces.  This is made easy using the kapro measure mate 313.  It is a nice measuring tool with many extras.  I used it in this project to measure my lines, find the centers of lines (I didn't want my roof line crooked), and the straight edge ensured that my lines were straight.  It has a nice triangle shape. One side is standard, one is metric and one has a centering guide. 


The next thing I did was to cut my pieces out. 
I used the proxxon table saw to cut the wood pieces and the proxxon band saw to cut the Plexiglas

Note the masking tape on the Plexiglas.  This served three purposes:  1- I could draw a line on it 2- , It keeps the edge from splintering when cutting,  and, 3- It makes removing the protective plastic that comes on the plexiglas easier to remove later.  

Ok, now that the pieces are cut I wanted to make grooves in the sides for the Plexiglas back to slide into.  This Plexiglas is so thin that I didn't feel glue alone would hold it and I really couldn't screw or nail into it so.... we make grooves.    This is really easy using the proxxon table saw FET.  


To make grooves:   first remove the blade guard and splitter.  Set the blade height to approx. 1/8" high.  My speed square bottom is 1/8" so I used it as a guide.  Set the fence 1/8" from the blade.  Pass the sides and bottom where the Plexiglas fits over the blade.  This will make a slot into the wood.  Test the fit with the Plexiglas.  If the Plexiglas does not fit simply move the fence out just slightly and run pieces over them again.  This will widen the slot slightly.   The Plexiglas should fit snugly.  Don't glue just yet.


Drill a couple holes in the Plexiglas, top and bottom where you can attach the suction cups
I drilled 4 but then decided to only use two.  See below, this is a picture of the outside of the house. with the suction cups attached. 


The front of the birdhouse needs an entrance hole.  I used a 7/8" spade bit to drill my hole.
Sand everything smooth using the proxxon OZI/E delta sander.  I love, love, LOVE, this tool. 
💗💗💗

Put your house together.  Clamping was tricky so I used glue and rubber bands to hold it until the glue was good and dry. 


Then I glued the front on after I added a little perch.



The roof is made up of wooden shims I had on hand from the hardware store.  They are a little uneven but hopefully birds are not picky.  You could choose a different material if you wanted, such as corrugated tin, plywood, or... umm...use your imagination.  💡💡💡



All done..  Check it out
     
  View from inside my house.   .  Hope the birds come...   
 

How it looks stuck on the window.  come on birdies

I had fun making this project.  Takes about an afternoon to make.  Proxxon and Kapro tools made it super easy.   I do hope the birds come and I do want to thank you all for coming and visiting this site.  Thanks Proxxon, Thanks Kapro, Thanks Terri.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this a cute idea for kids to learn about nature and really good directions keep coming up with these ideas bj

Cindy said...

I hope you have some little birdies come and nest in your little birdhouse too! Maybe some house wrens will set up shop. I love to watch the birds and I have plenty of windows that I can use this bird house on. Thanks for the idea and the tutorial on how to make it with my Proxxon Tools Carole!

Terry B said...

I absolutel love this birdhouse!! Wonderful idea. Well done!!