Friday, May 25, 2018

How to make a fence sitting bird feeder

     We have so many birds this year!  Even though we have a dozen or so feeders in the yard I figure there is always room for one more.  And never have I  heard a bird complain yet.
Today I thought I would make one, just a little bit different.  I wanted this one to sit on the fence post by the garden.  That was my only preconceived notion.  And... I wanted to use up some scraps I have lying around in the shop.

Here is what I used

Materials:
1" x 6" x 28 " piece of old fence board.
some gourd scraps  (for his hat)
small screws
wood glue
hot glue sticks
scrap of material
twine (optional)
easy tack by krylon

Equipment:
proxxon band saw
proxxon mini table saw
proxxon mini jigsaw
proxxon delta OZI/E sander
hot glue gun
drill or rotary tool
proxxon brad point bits or similar


To start I laid out a pattern of sorts on some paper that was the same size as the board I was going to use.  My initial thought was to make a scarecrow kinda guy.   I took my pattern and glued it to the board with easy tack by krylon.  This will make my pattern easy to cut without the need to actually transfer the design to the board.  The paper can be removed easily later after the pattern is cut.



I used the proxxon mini table saw to cut out my straight pieces and I used the proxxon mini band saw to cut out the curves and angles.  


Don't forget to sand everything smooth.  Nobirdy likes splinters!  🐦 
I used the proxxon delta OZI/E sander for this because it makes it so easy.



Now that I have all my pieces cut out and sanded smooth it is time to decide what this little man is going to look like. So let's start painting.  Thanks to plaid paints there are so many colors to choose from.  So... I just started painting.  



Then I drilled 2 holes in his shoes using the proxxon brad point bits and strung some shoelaces just for fun.   But now... his bald head was...just way too much.   I thought about hair, but instead decided on a hat.   Yes...!! a wide brimmed hat would work and would help cover the birdseed bowl to keep it dry when it rains.  And, I have a bunch of gourd scraps that might just work....


After cutting the hole with the proxxon mini jigsaw  so that his hat would fit I noticed his head sticking up through the hat!
We can fix that.  Let's remodel this hat.
I used proxxon's brad point bits to drill holes around the brim of the hat and I threaded some old twine into the holes.   Then I added another scrap piece of gourd to the top of the hat.  I glued the top of the hat to the brim and the hat to his head using gorilla glue.  It was nice and secure.  I made a hat band out of a scrap of old towel to hide the seam and glued it on with hot glue.  In the picture below I have it taped while the glue dries.    Check out those brad point bits.  I love them.
                                                                                             brad point bits from proxxon for drilling accurate holes.  

Now it is time to put him all together.   I used one screw each to attach his arms to his body.  I attached his "lap" perpendicular to his body and secured it with 3 screws.  His legs are attached to the lap with one screw each and can be positioned in different poses.  Feet are attached to his legs with 2 screws.  His hands are glued with hot glue to the seed bowl.  


sitting on the workbench
Notice his gourd bowl for birdseed.


Now he is outside, sitting on the fence that surrounds the garden.   He looks happy!






Thanks for stopping by.   Have yourself a fun day!  If you get the creative bug make one of these little guys and watch how many birds will come.    Seems they are always hungry!
Thanks Terri, Thanks Proxxon, Thanks Plaid for all your support.

Till next time.   Remember to have fun   Carol











3 comments:

Cindy said...

What a clever bird feeder Carol! And your little man is so cute too! Great tutorial and easy to follow.

Misty said...

I love this little fellow Carol,
he has the sweetest face. And bet
there is not another feeder like him.
As always your work is tops.

Anonymous said...

Carol I love it but now you need to make a granny birdbath to go with this guy and its really cute bj