Saturday, February 23, 2019

How to make a great trinket box with Proxxon Tools





It seems like everyone is trying to get organized at this time of year and there are many internet sites and blogs who have certainly tried to give us every idea they could think of to get us to become more organized. This trinket box that I've made seems to fit the bill for me. You can put your keys, wallet, etc. into it when you come in the door.

Supplies Needed for this project:

3/8" piece of plywood
1/4" piece of birch wood
Alcohol Ink-Caramel
Piece of cloth to put the Alcohol Ink on with
Topper- In this case I used a resin moccasin
E-6000
Black Paint mixed with Elmer's Glue
Paint Brush


I used the Proxxon Jig Saw to cut the top off the gourd that I wanted to use for this project.


I cut the top off two gourds but decided on this one for this project. The other one was very thick so I set it aside to carve on.


After I cleaned my gourd out on the inside I used my compass to make circles on the wood I was using with one being smaller than the other so that it would fit the inside of the gourd. The two pieces were put together with E-6000 glue and clamped. I let them set overnight to dry. The next day I used my piece of cloth to apply the Alcohol Ink to the lid and then glued the moccasin to the top of the lid to be used as the handle.


To tell you another tidbit about Proxxon tools, most of them have an outlet where you can attach your vacuum or in my case my shop vac with the adapter to suck up a lot of the dust created by either sanding wood or gourds.


I used my Proxxon Rotary Tool with a sanding drum to go around the inside edge of the gourd to smooth it and make it easier to put the lid on.


I used my Proxxon Belt Sander to smooth all the edges of my wooden lid. 


I used Plaid Black Apple Barrel Paint mixed with the glue to the inside of the gourd.

I also used the paint to go around the rim of the gourd.



The trinket box looks pretty awesome doesn't it? I was very happy with how it turned out. This job is relatively easy to do and I think you would have a lot of fun making it.
Check out the tools on the Proxxon Tools website and also check out the products that Plaid has on their website also. Please leave me a comment, I do read them, thanks.

Barbara

No comments: